blackbeasst

My random thoughts/comments/questions/concerns as I go

Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:53 pm

figured i'd make a thread about things that come to mind and clump them here instead of making numerous threads :D

first things first.....

#1 can the cup holder doohickey things be removed that "help" cups stay in? they are in no way styrofoam friendly :evil:

#2 why is it one night of charging yields 105 to empty, but the next night i top out 85?

#3 does anyone else have a problem with moths/other bugs making the interior of the car their personal living space? i woke up to 3 moths hanging out on the ceiling this morning. i've also noticed a lot of spiderwebs strown about the car :lol:

thats all for now. check back later for more :!:
Last edited by blackbeasst on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abelgoddard

Re: My random thoughts/comments/questions/cencerns as I go

Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:34 pm

#1. Not sure, but I totally agree. I'm absolutely certain that there will be a massive spill because of them.

#2. Guess-o-meter. Based on some guessing about your driving habits.

#3. I haven't had that experience.
Stay shiny, and May The Force Be With You!

------------------------
2014 FFE Ingot Silver - 'Wraith'
Previous cars (almost) all Hondas.

EVA

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:37 pm

#2 Deserves a little more explanation. The range on the guess o meter is based on your most recent trip or trips if they are short ones. That number can move around a lot if you drive in different conditions or drive differently.

Conditions are - use the heater (even accidently if the outside temperature is very near the temp you set in the car), use the air conditioner, drive really fast, get really bad brake scores in the brake coach screen. Those can all negatively impact range.

What doesn't matter - the radio, the headlights, the windshield wipers, the interior lights, the Nav system, something plugged in the 12V outlet. The seat heaters don't use a lot of energy either - especially compared to the heater.

Your big energy user is the heater by far - like an order of 10 far.

The other thing you can control - braking - anticipate and get 100% every time. Acceleration isn't a really bad thing. But going over like 65 or 70 MPH does kill your range. Stop and go traffic, range loves that, you'll add range like crazy. City driving is also good for range.

To a certain extent hills kind of matter. Actually mountains matter, hills a lot less. 6% grades matter. You also get a lot of energy back on the down side.
2014 Platinum White FFE (Turning in mid Dec. 2016 25,000 miles)
2013 Ingot Silver FFE
2012 Titanium ICE Focus
2014 Tesla Model S 85

jmueller065

Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:19 am

More on #2, a whole blog post on the Guess O Meter:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2013/10/1 ... s-o-meter/
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

hybridbear

Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:32 am

blackbeasst wrote:figured i'd make a thread about things that come to mind and clump them here instead of making numerous threads :D

first things first.....

#1 can the cup holder doohickey things be removed that "help" cups stay in? they are in no way styrofoam friendly :evil:

#2 why is it one night of charging yields 105 to empty, but the next night i top out 85?

#3 does anyone else have a problem with moths/other bugs making the interior of the car their personal living space? i woke up to 3 moths hanging out on the ceiling this morning. i've also noticed a lot of spiderwebs strown about the car :lol:

1) What center doohickey? We don't have anything in our cup holders? Do you have a picture?
2) Everyone else has answered this thoroughly already.
3) No issues for us. Do you park with your windows opened? We always park with our windows closed.
2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm - leased through 8/15/16
Replaced by a 2016 Tesla Model S 60D

jmueller065

Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:37 am

hybridbear wrote:1) What center doohickey? We don't have anything in our cup holders? Do you have a picture?
I believe that he is referring to the two flaps that protrude out from the rear side of each cup holder that are there to hold whatever is put in the cup holder in place.
Our 2012 ICE Focus did not have those. They are pretty stiff and are not really "soft cup" friendly (paper, styrofoam, solo, etc.).
Don't have a picture off hand...
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

blackbeasst

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:56 am

hybridbear wrote: 1) What center doohickey? We don't have anything in our cup holders? Do you have a picture?
3) No issues for us. Do you park with your windows opened? We always park with our windows closed.
1. see below
2. yeah that makes sense. always a good read from jmueller!
3. nope im always in the garage with windows up. no biggie, just found it odd :)
jmueller065 wrote:
hybridbear wrote:1) What center doohickey? We don't have anything in our cup holders? Do you have a picture?
I believe that he is referring to the two flaps that protrude out from the rear side of each cup holder that are there to hold whatever is put in the cup holder in place.
Our 2012 ICE Focus did not have those. They are pretty stiff and are not really "soft cup" friendly (paper, styrofoam, solo, etc.).
correct. the black flaps that don't play nice at all with paper/styrofoam cups in the least bit. had a couple spillages before i learned my lesson

hybridbear

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:02 am

blackbeasst wrote:
hybridbear wrote: 1) What center doohickey? We don't have anything in our cup holders? Do you have a picture?
1. see below
2. yeah that makes sense. always a good read from jmueller!
3. nope im always in the garage with windows up. no biggie, just found it odd :)
jmueller065 wrote:
correct. the black flaps that don't play nice at all with paper/styrofoam cups in the least bit. had a couple spillages before i learned my lesson

Now I get it! Those things are very annoying! They catch my water bottle too.
2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm - leased through 8/15/16
Replaced by a 2016 Tesla Model S 60D

ElSupreme

Re: My random thoughts/comments/questions/concerns as I go

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:27 am

blackbeasst wrote:figured i'd make a thread about things that come to mind and clump them here instead of making numerous threads :D

first things first.....

#1 Yeah I am paranoid about my Chick-Fil-A cups puncturing when I pick up breakfast. I put a piece of paper between the cup and 'holder' which helps a bit.

#2 Guess-o-meter is changing the Wh/mi used to calcualate range between days.

#3 Yes. Spiders seem to love the FFE. My wife is used to leaving the window down, and her keys in the car (paranoid about locking them in the car) when it is parked in the garage. Now she leaves everything sealed up and hangs her key on the hook inside.
Think with dispassion; Speak with equanimity; Act in calm.

2012 Tesla Model S 85, Green
2014 Ford Focus Electric, Ice Storm

dmen

Re: My random thoughts/comments/questions/concerns as I go

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:01 pm

The cupholder flaps seem to soften over time but 19 months in, I still don't trust a Dunkin Donuts cup of hot coffee there. A paper coffee cup with a cardboard sleeve is the safest disposable cup style I've found for hot drinks in the holder. The sleeve stays in the holder allowing the cup to easily slide in and out. Perhaps a second styro cup would work similarly?

I have definitely had some spiders but that doesn't seem any different than my previous car. No other bugs or critters.
2013 Ice Storm FFE, Dec 2012

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”