Monthly electricity use

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridbear

Does anyone else track monthly electricity use? One of our trip meters is going to be reset monthly for us to track how many kWh came out of the HVB in a month. We'll be reporting this data to our apartment management so that they can make sure we are paying a proper amount for our electricity use.

Here is July's data from 7/3/14 when the car arrived through 7/31/14.

I don't have to go through such lengths to track my usage: I simply download the data from my power company (my Level 2 is on its own meter and I can download hourly data):
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2013/12/19/electricity-consumption-for-november/

hybridbear said:
Does anyone else track monthly electricity use? One of our trip meters is going to be reset monthly for us to track how many kWh came out of the HVB in a month. We'll be reporting this data to our apartment management so that they can make sure we are paying a proper amount for our electricity use.
Keep in mind that there is a "charging overhead" that can be important to account for if you're talking about energy usage and money.

Charging the typical EV is only about 80% efficient. In other words, for every 1 kWh consumed from the wall, only about 800 Wh are actually stored in the battery. The other 200 Wh of energy is, in basic terms, lost as heat during the charging process.

Since the energy shown by the car as consumed "from the battery" only represents 80% of the energy that was actually consumed "from the wall" to charge it, you owe your landlord for this latter amount (the energy you consumed from his wall) not just what you later consumed from your battery (which "cost" him an extra 20% for the charging overhead of your EV).

So, according to the FFE screen in your photo, you owe your landlord for about 270 kWh (since 215.4 kWh / 0.80 = 269.25 kWh).

WattsUp said:
hybridbear said:
Keep in mind that there is a "charging overhead" that can be important to account for if you're talking about energy usage and money.

Charging the typical EV is only about 80% efficient. In other words, for every 1 kWh consumed from the wall, only about 800 Wh are actually stored in the battery. The other 200 Wh of energy is, in basic terms, lost as heat during the charging process.

Since the energy shown by the car as consumed "from the battery" only represents 80% of the energy that was actually consumed "from the wall" to charge it, you owe your landlord for this latter amount (the energy you consumed from his wall) not just what you later consumed from your battery (which "cost" him an extra 20% for the charging overhead of your EV).

So, according to the FFE screen in your photo, you owe your landlord for about 270 kWh (since 215.4 kWh / 0.80 = 269.25 kWh).
Exactly. Below is what I sent in an e-mail to them.
Attached is a pic of the trip odometer from when the car arrived through 7/31. It shows that we used 215.4 kWh. Divide that by 0.8 for the 20% charging losses and you get 269.25 kWh. Multiply that times $0.11 per kWh and you get $29.61 in electricity in July.
We pay them a flat rate of $35 per month, but since we're the first BEV owner they asked us to track electricity use this way so that we can make sure that $35 is the right amount for us to pay monthly since our EVSE will not have its own meter so they will not be able to determine how much electricity we actually use.

for the month prior to moving i failed to let the power company know i had an EV nor ask about off peak hours. needless to say i was a little shocked when the bill came in :shock:

since moving im on the books to have the meter switched out and the new rate applied to my account. should be interesting to see the difference on the next bill

blackbeasst said:
for the month prior to moving i failed to let the power company know i had an EV nor ask about off peak hours. needless to say i was a little shocked when the bill came in :shock:

since moving im on the books to have the meter switched out and the new rate applied to my account. should be interesting to see the difference on the next bill

Georgia Powers EVToU rates are so ridiculously low 11pm to 7am that I have not really noticed a change in my Summer power bills. Even though I am using ~800kWh extra every month. In the winter you pay slightly more for every kWh outside the night. But even when those months my cars have over doubled my power consumption my bills are only ~$40 more than they were originally.

Just make sure your AC doesn't run between 2pm and 7pm and your are golden!

ElSupreme said:
blackbeasst said:

Georgia Powers EVToU rates are so ridiculously low 11pm to 7am that I have not really noticed a change in my Summer power bills. Even though I am using ~800kWh extra every month. In the winter you pay slightly more for every kWh outside the night. But even when those months my cars have over doubled my power consumption my bills are only ~$40 more than they were originally.

im on walton emc out in oconee county. they are still new to the ev stuff but said to start they just change out the entire meter. here's the old and new breakdown:

old

RATES - MONTHLY

Winter (November - May)

Service Charge @ $17.00 per month

First 400 kWh per month @ $0.078 per kWh

Next 700 kWh per month @ $0.055 per kWh

Over 1,100 kWh per month @ $0.046 per kWh

Summer (June -October)

First 800 kWh per month @ $0.080 per kWh

Over 800 kWh per month @ $0.087 per kWh

new

RATE - MONTHLY

Service Charge @ $20.00 per month

All kWh of Off-Peak Energy @ $0.046 per kWh

All kWh of On-Peak Energy @ $0.150 per kWh

MINIMUM CHARGES

The minimum monthly charge shall be $20.00.

POWER COST ADJUSTMENT

DETERMINATION OF ON-PEAK AND OFF-PEAK ENERGY

The On-Peak Period shall be those hours, Monday-Friday, beginning at 3:00 p.m.

and ending at 8:00 p.m. during the summer months (June 1 - September 10), excluding

July 4th and Labor Day. All other hours shall be considered the Off-Peak Period.

The On-Peak Energy shall be the kilowatt-hours recorded during the On-Peak

Period. The Off-Peak Energy shall be the kilowatt-hours recorded during the Off-Peak

Period.

blackbeasst said:
ElSupreme said:
blackbeasst said:

im on walton emc out in oconee county. they are still new to the ev stuff but said to start they just change out the entire meter. here's the old and new breakdown:

old

RATES - MONTHLY

Winter (November - May)

First 400 kWh per month @ $0.078 per kWh

Next 700 kWh per month @ $0.055 per kWh

Over 1,100 kWh per month @ $0.046 per kWh

Summer (June -October)

First 800 kWh per month @ $0.080 per kWh

Over 800 kWh per month @ $0.087 per kWh

new

RATE - MONTHLY

Service Charge @ $20.00 per month

All kWh of Off-Peak Energy @ $0.046 per kWh

All kWh of On-Peak Energy @ $0.150 per kWh

MINIMUM CHARGES

The minimum monthly charge shall be $20.00.

POWER COST ADJUSTMENT

DETERMINATION OF ON-PEAK AND OFF-PEAK ENERGY

The On-Peak Period shall be those hours, Monday-Friday, beginning at 3:00 p.m.

and ending at 8:00 p.m. during the summer months (June 1 - September 10), excluding

July 4th and Labor Day. All other hours shall be considered the Off-Peak Period.

The On-Peak Energy shall be the kilowatt-hours recorded during the On-Peak

Period. The Off-Peak Energy shall be the kilowatt-hours recorded during the Off-Peak

Period.
That's incredibly cheap!!!! Our prices here are about $0.11/kWh not including the service charge. It's actually almost $0.115/kWh in the summer and just under $0.105/kWh in the winter. Our electric company offers EV rates but then the on-peak rate would be in excess of $0.20/kWh. However, MN is the first state to pass a law requiring all utilities to offer special electricity rates for EV owners.

hybridbear said:
That's incredibly cheap!!!! Our prices here are about $0.11/kWh not including the service charge. It's actually almost $0.115/kWh in the summer and just under $0.105/kWh in the winter. Our electric company offers EV rates but then the on-peak rate would be in excess of $0.20/kWh. However, MN is the first state to pass a law requiring all utilities to offer special electricity rates for EV owners.

Yeah Georgia has some dirt cheap energy: I pay ~$10 for a connection fee every month, plus another $30 in other fees (nuclear construction, and environmental) and 6% tax on top of everything.

I pay ~20¢ per kWh peak (2pm-7pm Jun-Sept, weekday/non-holiday)
I pay ~6.2¢ per kWh off-peak (everything not peak or super off peak)
I pay ~1.3¢ per kWh super off peak (11pm-7am every day)

ElSupreme said:
hybridbear said:

Yeah Georgia has some dirt cheap energy: I pay ~$10 for a connection fee every month, plus another $30 in other fees (nuclear construction, and environmental) and 6% tax on top of everything.

I pay ~20¢ per kWh peak (2pm-7pm Jun-Sept, weekday/non-holiday)
I pay ~6.2¢ per kWh off-peak (everything not peak or super off peak)
I pay ~1.3¢ per kWh super off peak (11pm-7am every day)

Yep, I thought the same until I did the math and saw that my bill was 2x what it should have been.. Turns out that Georgia Power (bless 'em) have a completely hidden fee of ~3.5¢ per kWh for "Fuel charge". Don't even bother looking for it on your bill because it's completely hidden. Not even a freaking non-descript line item... Just multiply your power usage times the rates quoted above and add the extra NUKLEAR fees and you'll see that the result is nowhere near what you're paying.

Not that I'm complainin' cuz it's still damn cheap.

____SCOOPS<<<<

You guys are terribly spoiled when it comes to electric rates. Here are the Time of Use rates for Southern California Edison:

Peak (10 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays) $0.50/kWh

Off Peak (6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. to midnight and all weekend days) $.32/kWh

Super Off Peak (Midnight to 6 am. everyday) $0.07/kWh

This is the level 2 charge which takes effect about 10 days into the billing cycle. The level 2 charge may change in different geographic locations, though I'm not sure. My coastal location may have less of a level 1 change due to lower A/C usage by the coast.

I was curious how much electricity was actually provided at the outlet and not just what the car says, so I installed a "Kill A Watt EZ" (a 120v in-line electric meter available at Home Depot for about $20). The unit allows programming in the cost per kW and therefore can display actual amps, volts, historical usage, and historical cost.

My power rate is $0.10 per kW and for my first 1,000 miles the total cost was $33.30

My car showed the usage during the same period at just under 300 kwhr/mi and therefore these numbers indicate that the 120 volt charging system is approximately 90% efficient.

I hope this single example helps.

unplugged said:
Super Off Peak (Midnight to 6 am. everyday) $0.07/kWh

Wow what a huge difference in rates! In Hawaii we have one rate about $0.50 per kWh anytime.

Do you guys have a special EV rate too? Or just need to charge your EV during the super off peak?

Poobah said:
I was curious how much electricity was actually provided at the outlet and not just what the car says, so I installed a "Kill A Watt EZ" (a 120v in-line electric meter available at Home Depot for about $20). The unit allows programming in the cost per kW and therefore can display actual amps, volts, historical usage, and historical cost.

My power rate is $0.10 per kW and for my first 1,000 miles the total cost was $33.30

My car showed the usage during the same period at just under 300 kwhr/mi and therefore these numbers indicate that the 120 volt charging system is approximately 90% efficient.

I hope this single example helps.

yep I used a Kill-a-watt device with the 120v EVSE unit the first month of my FFE use.
but now I have a 240V/30a EVSE installed and don't have a device that can show the same current and power draw over time for a 240V line unfortunately.
I do have a smart meter that I can online check my whole house power draw (KwH) for each hour of any day and when the 240V/30a EVSE is charging the FFE for a full hour it draws ~7KwH after subtracting the ~300W or so of typical other house electrical use at that time.

Olagon said:
Wow what a huge difference in rates! In Hawaii we have one rate about $0.50 per kWh anytime.

Do you guys have a special EV rate too? Or just need to charge your EV during the super off peak?
The rate I provided is the electric vehicle time of use whole house rate. You can get a separate meter, but that requires an investment of one to two thousand dollars or more.

The downside is that the prime time rate is so high, that without an EV, there is no savings. And if there is a lot of energy use during mid-day, the cost may be more than just staying on the one-rate residential plan.

unplugged said:
The downside is that the prime time rate is so high, that without an EV, there is no savings. And if there is a lot of energy use during mid-day, the cost may be more than just staying on the one-rate residential plan.

Yep thats the case for me, so I'm sticking with the one-rate regular plan for now.
I'm retired so I use significant electricity at home during the day, especially A/C in the summer.
I'm not driving the FFE enough to warrant it, but if I drove it enough to require a near full charge of the FFE
s battery daily then I might consider adding solar.

The cost of the second meter and a level 2 EVSE installed was included in a program I signed up for with my power company. Thus the FFE is on a TOD rate but the house is still on the residential rate. Overnight the TOD rate is $0.035/kWh.

Back