studio460

What's the biggest thing you miss about your old ICE?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:09 am

Aside from the obvious (range), is there anything you miss about your old gasoline-powered vehicle?

[Personally, I have a lowered, matte-black 2003 Mercury Marauder 32V 4.6L V8 that I'm keeping for long drives, and because I just love that car. It's got a throaty, after-market exhaust note that I really like. Of course, when I get my FFE, I know I won't miss filling up my tank with premium gas every four days at $4.49/gallon!]

Mojave Desert, California.
2014 Ford Focus Electric, Oxford White/leather; Ford splash guards; ST replica spoiler, matte-black; de-badged.
Lamin-X smoked reverse-light tint/blued headlight tint.

studio460

Re: What's the biggest thing you miss about your old ICE?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:18 am

I've been thinking about one thing I'll miss. On my daily commute, I have to pull into a six-lane highway, three blocks into my drive. While the posted limit is 35MPH, morning commuters often drive this street (Sepulveda Blvd.) at near-50MPH. I can usually slip into traffic and get up to speed very quickly in my gasoline-powered V8. However, I noticed the off-the-line speed is rather pokey in the FFE on my one test drive (plus, I'd like to keep deep current-draw spikes at a minimum for both range and battery life considerations). In the FFE, I'll probably have to wait a complete light-cycle for the preceding cross-traffic control to turn red, to enable enough clearance. This often takes up to three minutes or more.
2014 Ford Focus Electric, Oxford White/leather; Ford splash guards; ST replica spoiler, matte-black; de-badged.

jmueller065

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:33 am

Not really--granted I have two ICE vehicles that I can and do drive often enough that if there was anything I would miss I would make up for.

In fact, when I do drive one of the ICE vehicles I often contemplate on what would it take to make that particular ICE vehicle a BEV--hmm that would make an interesting blog post...
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

ElSupreme

Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:06 am

The only think I miss about my ICE is the clutch pedal, and roof rack. (I know I can put the roof rack on my FFE or Model S but I haven't yet)

That and my seats. Oh the seats in my GTI were amazing.
Think with dispassion; Speak with equanimity; Act in calm.

2012 Tesla Model S 85, Green
2014 Ford Focus Electric, Ice Storm

hybridbear

Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:07 am

jmueller065 wrote:Not really--granted I have two ICE vehicles that I can and do drive often enough that if there was anything I would miss I would make up for.

In fact, when I do drive one of the ICE vehicles I often contemplate on what would it take to make that particular ICE vehicle a BEV--hmm that would make an interesting blog post...
You don't have the ICE Focus anymore? I notice that your signature is different.

The only thing I would miss is the cargo utility. The FFE has very limited cargo space & rear seat space. However, it's sufficient and is so much more fun to drive.
2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm - leased through 8/15/16
Replaced by a 2016 Tesla Model S 60D

jachady

Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:51 am

I brought home a Focus Titanium with the cool Arctic White interior to show my wife (she's an interior designser) and she wanted to take it for a spin. When she came back she said she missed the sound of the exhaust.

jmueller065

Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:55 am

hybridbear wrote:You don't have the ICE Focus anymore? I notice that your signature is different.
Nope: Its lease was up so we turned it in for the 2014 Escape (1.6L Ecoboost, FWD). So far we're getting 30+ mpg in it on the freeway! Not bad for a "CUV".
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)

Lithium

Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:15 am

ImageMy distraction by Shelterock, on Flickr

Audi S4 Avant, 340hp V8 Quattro Wagon. nough said..... V8 rumble with Milltek exhaust was such a joy to hear. 5.6 sec 0-60 and the brakes were amazing. These were all great features of the car.
What I miss most is the Wagon and functionality of the vehicle. 6'7" and the focus is a little cramped. If I had a A4 wagon style car all electric, then the ICE would be nostalgic at best.
I don't miss the fuel cost, maintenance, insurance, economics of the car really.
H
2014 Ford Focus Electric Silver Leather, Returned Feb 2017 36K now at Washington Ford PA.
2013 VW Passat 3.6 SEL Premium 27MPG

2004 Audi S4 Avant 345HP (Deceased) 16 MPG
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (Rotted then Deceased) 15MPG

studio460

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:41 pm

Interesting replies! I really want a FFE for all the obvious reasons, but it's taking every bit of will power not to buy an ST instead. Actually, I don't think I'll miss the sound of the exhaust--I expect it to be a different driving experience altogether. I'm actually looking forward to the "quietness."

jmueller065

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:20 pm

studio460 wrote:I expect it to be a different driving experience altogether.
What I found to be most surprising: Shortly after I got my FFE I was out driving it in the rain. While stopped at a light I had this odd sensation that I was camping for the only noise I could hear was the raindrops hitting the roof of the car (the radio was off and so was the wipers). It still strikes me now and then all of the exterior sounds you can hear simply because there are none emanating from the vehicle itself.

To this day, whenever I give a ride to someone who has never ridden in it their first words are always: "Its so quiet!".
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”