cwstnsko

Re: 2014 Ford Focus joins my 2012 LEAF as my only cars.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:20 am

Abelgoddard wrote:Honestly, I don't know how y'all do it, running down to 0. I couldn't force myself to do that unless trying to get away from fast zombies in the apocalypse! I have to have my car available to drive. It makes me a bit nervous just to be under 50% unless I know I'm going to be charging wherever I'm going, and even then I have to have many hours of charge time. I don't have an L2 at home yet, and no convenient one either, whether charge or free. That L1 I have puts the trick in trickle charge. Nervous may be overstating it a bit, but I'm constantly aware of my battery and basically planning out the next 2 days of driving. I know if I get home too late on day 1, or have driven a lot, I won't have a full charge in the morning, which puts a crimp in any driving on day 2. So, I like the idea of knowing just exactly how much usable battery I have, but in practice I can't afford to test it out to find out.
I can relate, I've gotten over range anxiety in my normal daily routine as I commonly get home with 40+ miles of range showing on the GOM. I have taken a couple trips where I was close enough to full range to be careful with the climate control, but even then I got home with 13 miles showing.
This weekend I took my 1st trip that required charging at the other end of the trip. Plugshare was showing that one of the 3 Semaconnect stations at my destination was in use, 1 was offline and one was available. I was nervous the whole way there that someone else would show up and I'd be stuck searching for a EVSE on the way home. When I got a few miles from my destination, I saw the warning for the 1st time that said that I was nearing the point that I could not make it home on the remaining charge. I was relieved to see 3 of 4 EV parking stalls available when I arrived and the EVSE I pulled up to worked perfectly....

The stall that was in use was a Ford Fusion Energi that had presumably been there long enough to register as the car that was using the station before I left home. It was parked in the only possible manner that could make it difficult to reach the charge port with the cord, and the cord was stretched to its limit to reach :roll: Based on the trim ring being dark, I assume it was fully charged. When we left 2 hours later with about 99% charge, it was still sitting there plugged in.....
Chris W
2015 C-Max Energi, Magnetic, 302A package
2014 Focus Electric, turned in at end of lease

TrojanEV

Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:34 pm

ELROY wrote:
kmaluo wrote:My torque steer is pretty bad, I'm going to see if an alignment will help. Any chance getting this covered under warranty?
My car only has 600 miles on it, so the alignment was going to be covered under warranty.
I just called the dealership to find out what was going on with my car.
My advisor said that my car "definitely has a problem", and that they are going to replace the whole steering column. Parts are on order. Will probably be Thursday before I hear any more details.

I wonder if the steering column is the whole EPS system?

Kind of a bummer a new car has this problem.
On the other hand, kind of relieved that the problem will most likely be resolved.

6pm update: The service cashier told me that the part on order is called a steering gearbox.
Probably a fairly expensive unit I would guess...
Hi Elroy -- How did your alignment/steering column fix work out? I'm worried my new FFE may have a similar problem.
2014 Blue Candy FFE

epaminondas

Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:17 am

I find that off the line acceleration is fine. With the traction control off, in L, and if I blip the accellerator before plwing my foot into it, I can spin the tires and pretty much smoke most people from a stop light. If you are not drag racing, all reports are that in real world driving like on the freeway, the Focus is far superior, more powerful and stable than the Leaf. It is a blast to drive at freeway speeds and has a great usable power band in the 50-85 mph range - that is real world driving.

In a head to head comparison like on this site, as far as safety and fit and finish, the Focus takes it.

http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimComp ... 40FOC291A0

As far as styling, many of us wouldn't consider driving a Leaf...
Last edited by epaminondas on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Ford Focus Electric -silver
2005 MBZ 350 ML
2008 Scion TC
1996 Ford F250 Powerstroke
(runs bio diesel)

WattsUp

Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:44 am

epaminondas wrote:It is interesting how negative you are aqbout the Focus.
Are you replying to somebody in particular, or collectively all of "us" in this entire thread?
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

epaminondas

Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:03 pm

I have heard a critique of off line performance from many people on and off of this thread.
Last edited by epaminondas on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2005 MBZ 350 ML
2008 Scion TC
(runs bio diesel)

WattsUp

Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:27 pm

epaminondas wrote:Well - yes -to both - it seems like you are very unsatisfied with the off line performance and hadling of your FFE. I have heard a critique of off line performance from many people on and off of this thread.
Again... who is "you" ? Not me... as I haven't made the comments to which you seem to be referring. I am just a third-party asking you to clarify.

In any case, it would help if you would use the "quote" feature of the forums to make it clear which person/comment you are addressing.
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

epaminondas

Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:43 pm

sorry for the mis-communication :|
2005 MBZ 350 ML
2008 Scion TC
(runs bio diesel)

epaminondas

Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:50 pm

The biggest annoyance is that if you slam the throttle, it doesn't even start accelerating till a split second later. Ironically, when your barely throttle out of a corner, the tires often squeal under acceleration. Real strange. Its like the module has no real control of optimal acceleration. It seems this is something Ford could fix with a software fix. I swear the car seems to have better throttle response in reverse. Has anyone made that comparison?

The Focus seems to have much more drive train slop/clunking. When turning right into my driveway to slowly go up it, I even notice a power delivery pulsation at times. Just does not seem as refined as the LEAF drivetrain, especially when comparing a 17,000 mile LEAF against the Focus at 600 miles.

This torque steer, straight line stability issue is really going but a damper on my enjoyment of the car if it can't be resolve. Especially with the mild low end acceleration and throttle response. Has anyone else noticed these steering issues? Anyone with both the LEAF and FFE to compare also?

I don't experience these problems...

davideos

Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:00 pm

I, for one, am unsatisfied with the off-the-line performance. When I pull up to a Tesla P85D (eventually), I don't think I'll win. :)
I didn't buy my FFE to win races or anything; however, shortly after owning it, I realized how fun it is. Although 0 to 60 in 10 seconds isn't anything other cars can't do, with an FFE, you can do it ever-so-quietly...which throws many people off. Although we have to "floor" it, it comes without guilt of wasting fuel, excessive noise, or wear and tear on the vehicle. Well, I'm sure I'd be wasting fuel, but wrt an ICE, I'm not. And, there may be some extra wear and tear on the battery and some of the electrical components, but hey, if they don't wear out before the 96mo 100,000mi warranty expires, they'll probably keep on working...and if they don't, I get new ones; an besides, on the MFM website, I'm much closer to zen than zippy.

I do believe that Ford likely limits the throttle a bit. With the econo tires, the wheels would break free of the pavement if they didn't throttle it. Even today, the streets were wet from early morning rain...and giving it full throttle at 30MHP, my wheels broke free. Although it would be cool to have control of the limits, without them, I think we'd be all over the place...and in less time :)

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”