New FoFo Electric owner! -- questions

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

empowah

Hi all,

I took delivery of a 2014 Focus Electric two days ago. I came from a fairly basic 2012 Focus ICE (manual transmission SE Sport model) so I'm enjoying all the extra amenities. I have noticed an oddity, however, and wonder if it's just my vehicle or if this trait is common to all Focus Electrics.

Whenever I accelerate from a stop, I hear a faint clunk from the front of the car, almost as if the motor is moving in its mounts. If I tip-in the "throttle" very gently, I don't hear the noise, but I can create it with any moderate acceleration. I also notice the clunk at low speeds when the motor is going back and forth from regen to supplying power.

Exterior fit and finish isn't the best either. The edges of the front bumper don't sit flush with the front fenders; they rub against each other, and as a result, the paint on the bumper is peeling.

Also, is there a way to set value charging from inside the car? Or can departure times only be set from the app--which I have yet to set up.

Thanks,

Michael

empowah said:
Hi all,

I took delivery of a 2014 Focus Electric two days ago. I came from a fairly basic 2012 Focus ICE (manual transmission SE Sport model) so I'm enjoying all the extra amenities. I have noticed an oddity, however, and wonder if it's just my vehicle or if this trait is common to all Focus Electrics.

Whenever I accelerate from a stop, I hear a faint clunk from the front of the car, almost as if the motor is moving in its mounts. If I tip-in the "throttle" very gently, I don't hear the noise, but I can create it with any moderate acceleration. I also notice the clunk at low speeds when the motor is going back and forth from regen to supplying power.

Exterior fit and finish isn't the best either. The edges of the front bumper don't sit flush with the front fenders; they rub against each other, and as a result, the paint on the bumper is peeling.

Also, is there a way to set value charging from inside the car? Or can departure times only be set from the app--which I have yet to set up.

Thanks,

Michael
Be sure to bring the car back to the dealer immediately about the paint issues. The sooner you contact them the better. If you wait a long time they might try to deny the claim under warranty.

Yeah, I wondered about the clunk also; probably just the nature of the beast that they can't make the power application infinitely smooth.

empowah said:
Hi all,

Thanks,

Michael

I would certainly NOT consider the "clunking" noise as normal. My FFE makes no similar noise during any acceleration, soft or hard. The only similar sound I can think of is when the traction control kicks in and out. However you would typically be on snow, ice, sand/gravel or some other limited traction condition. It's most noticeable while accelerating and turning simultaneously. Also, the traction control light indicator will light so you should be aware it is active. There is NO excuse for the paint/body panel alignment issues. I'd get to the dealer pronto. I have 2 Focuses and the fit and finish is exceptional on both.

I did some more driving today, and I suppose calling the noise a "clunk" is an exaggeration. It's more of a one-time clicking sound that occurs after a change in accelerator pedal position.

Still, my parents' Volt makes no such noise. Although both are powered by electric motors, it's interesting how "throttle" mapping and other attributes make a difference in how an EV feels to drive.

empowah said:
I did some more driving today, and I suppose calling the noise a "clunk" is an exaggeration. It's more of a one-time clicking sound that occurs after a change in accelerator pedal position.
I think you might be experiencing a normal aspect of the FFE.

There is a little bit of "play" somewhere in the gearing that you can feel when you remove or add power. I usually hear the "click" (or maybe "soft clunk") when I come to a very slow stop, where the motor creep (which is artificial in the FFE) and the car's final momentum reach a sort of "equilibrium" for a moment. When this occurs, you can often hear the gears "rocking" against each other. I could see how you might cause it to occur other times.

I believe other people in this forum have described hearing something similar under similar circumstances.

I believe if you hit the button on the bottom of the Touch Screen that looks like a road with a leaf, you should be able to set value charging from inside the vehicle. Definitely get the bumper fixed by the dealer. A "click" sort of sound could be normal, if its more on the "clunk" side I would have it checked out for sure.

Zjlange
Havill-Spoerl Ford Lincoln
Fort Atkinson, WI

I test drove an FFE last weekend, and I also noticed a soft "clunk" sound. As I recall, I heard it on braking. I also noticed near-identical fit issues with three different black FFEs. All had a larger gap between the driver's-side, front quarter panel-to-hood seam, and the passenger's front quarter panel-to-hood seam. The passenger's side looked "right," but the driver's side on all three vehicles was larger by about 4mm. Although it seems small, it's noticeable by eye. I looked at an Oxford White FFE at another lot, and while the variance was still there, it was less severe.

Back