Mental note: Buy a car with a spare tire next time!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaluo

Before getting in my car today, I noticed a completely flat tire. I was in a rush, so I tried the included sealant/compressor. This was a pretty neat contraption, but did nothing for the tire. So I called roadside assistance, and after an hour, I was being transported to my Nearest ford dealership, another hour away. After waiting two hours at Ford service, I was told that the tore couldn't be patched as the puncture was too close to tire sidewall. Of course they don't stock Michelin, so I had to wait for a ride to Costco, and bring back the tire to Ford. Of course the air sensor is ruined, so now I'm out another $200 for a new sensor and install which requires recalibration to the car.

Now if the Focus Electric had a spare, I could have driven right to Costco, saved $200 in damages, and not have wasted a whole day. Lesson learned for my next EV purchase.

I think the best plan would have been to have the car flat bedded to a tire place. From what I read the gunk and compressor approach is a problem for everyone.

Thank you for the useful info.

I wondered at the lack of a spare tire. But where to put one? Maybe strap it on the front hood or the roof like a land rover or Toyota land cruiser. Or perhaps on the side up front like a Rolls Royce. The trunk perhaps? argh... decisions, decisions. :twisted:

Good to know about the sensor and calibration. So if there's no spare tire, then there's no jack. If there's no jack then there may be no jack points on the car. How very inconvenient. :evil:

I'll have to do some thinking here. Probably the biggest issue is the recalibration after the cost of tire, rim and sensor.
Maybe there's a simple procedure to do it myself. Then again, perhaps I can pretend that I have lots of time to wait for CAA or roadside assistance and that I can afford to twitter my day away due to a flat tire... sheesh ford, what were you thinking of?

Zurc

michael said:
I think the best plan would have been to have the car flat bedded to a tire place. From what I read the gunk and compressor approach is a problem for everyone.

Unfortunately, they won't tow you anywhere except the nearest Ford Dealership.

michael said:
From what I read the gunk and compressor approach is a problem for everyone.
Yeah, my advice is to never use those sealants unless it is an emergency. They might solve the emergency, but they only create an expensive mess.

I have had one puncture (an inch-long screw) in one of my FFE tires. But, I was able to repair it using the DynaPlug kit that I keep in my FFE glovebox (already knowing that I did not want to use the sealant option). DynaPlug is an excellent little product that does not create a mess. I highly recommend everyone get a kit for their FFE or other vehicle.

Luckily, in my case, the screw had sealed its own puncture and I didn't actually get a flat. I'd noticed the puncture earlier in the day at work and, finding the tire still had full pressure at the end of the day, I decided to drive my (short, 10-mile) commute home that evening with the screw still in the tire. Once home, I jacked up the car, removed the wheel, pulled the screw out with pliers, sealed the puncture with a DynaPlug, and remounted the wheel. 15-minute job, tops.

From what I understand, for minor punctures, a DynaPlug can be a permanent solution. With my repair, so far so good. I think I will continue driving on it until (and if ever) a problem develops.

Unfortunately, plug-in electrics typically don't come with spare tires; at least none of the ones I've shopped do. If I were a betting man (and I am), I'd go as far as saying that none of the plug-ins on the market today come with a spare tire.

Folks on the Volt forum actually bought spares from junkyards, Tire Rack, etc. to deal with this deficiency. Some keep it in their garage (quicker to call the wife or son to deliver it, rather than wait two hours for a tow), others strap it down in the trunk (which is smaller than the FFE's trunk, but it's flat). Food for thought.

Dynaplug sounds like a good option in the future. Probably wouldn't have helped my situation with the hole so close to the sidewall, but maybe I'll be luckier next time. Would be great to find a small spare that I could tuck away in my trunk though. Of course I'd also have to find space for a Jack and a lug wrench also.

I am going to, when I get a chance, get a regular spare donut and just chuck it in the back. Focus spares are comically tiny. I am thinking it will be worth the space it takes up.

...or maybe keep it at home and just have my wife bring it out to me. ...or vica versa. Not like these cars can get THAT far from the spare tire. =P

jloucks said:
I am going to, when I get a chance, get a regular spare donut and just chuck it in the back. Focus spares are comically tiny. I am thinking it will be worth the space it takes up.

Let us know if you find a spare and how it looks tucked away.

Btw, it costs $37 to replace the sealant canister. No thanks. GOOD NEWS... Ford Customer Relations said that the pressure sensor will be covered under warranty since the sealant is given with the vehicle. I'll be getting a refund shortly. Thank God.

kmaluo said:
GOOD NEWS... Ford Customer Relations said that the pressure sensor will be covered under warranty since the sealant is given with the vehicle.
Hey, that's awesome. Good to know (even though I'll try hard to never use the sealant).

I wonder what temperature that gunk will work down to. Useless if it can't be used in the winter time.
Great news on the warranty if you still have warranty.
I like the plug idea. Great for screws and nails. Temporary until you can get a proper patch on the inside of the tire though.
Got to remember that highway speeds can pop the plug out hence the inside patch. Also need to make sure the cords aren't damaged.
I'd sooner have a spare though.

Zurc

Zurc said:
I like the plug idea. Great for screws and nails. Temporary until you can get a proper patch on the inside of the tire though.
Got to remember that highway speeds can pop the plug out hence the inside patch. Also need to make sure the cords aren't damaged.
Probably good points. On the other hand, the DynaPlug FAQ does say that a single plug repair can work as a permanent fix.

http://www.dynaplug.com/faq.html

The tire pressure sensor or TPMS, if it is replaced has to be paired with your car. There is an about $25 tool from Tire Rack that will do the job. It takes about 10 minutes to do all four tires. If you don't pair the sensor, the car will throw a low tire pressure alarm every 10 minutes. The TPMS sensors are around $40 I seem to recall.

Why I know this - on our ICE Focus, I have to use snow tires. I bought a mounted set from Tire Rack, with TPMS installed. In order to get the sensors to pair with the car, I had to also buy the little reset tool.

The dealer naturally charges more for all of these things.

In theory the sealant in the Ford can should not damage the TPMS - they make TPMS compatible sealant. There may have been some other reason the sensor had to be replaced.

Even at a tire place, Costco, or a tire dealer - chances are big they will not have the specific tire for this car. A lot of tires have to be ordered - most of the time overnight works.

The ICE Focus with summer tires doesn't have a spare. When my son ran over something and cut the sidewall, we had to order the new tire. The tire place wanted about double what I paid at Tire Rack. Since they are a certified Tire Rack installer, they let me order the tire and they installed it.

Fewer and fewer cars have spare tires. Tesla doesn't have one (and they do not include the compressor or sealant as standard equipment - you have to buy it, unlike Ford with the FFE). There is a fairly active thread where people talk about finding the right wheel size and tire to fit in the front trunk. Of course you have to include a jack for a 5,000 pound car and the wrenches to remove the lug nuts.

EVA said:
Of course you have to include a jack for a 5,000 pound car and the wrenches to remove the lug nuts.
Is the 5000-pound jack for added safety? I thought the FFE weighted in around 3700 lbs.

I recently jacked my FFE up with a standard 2-ton jack (so, rated for 4000 lbs) and stands in order to rotate the tires. Seemed fine and safe.

WattsUp said:
Is the 5000-pound jack for added safety? I thought the FFE weighted in around 3700 lbs.
Indeed the FFE weighs in at 3620 lbs--at least mine did when I took it to a scale.

In the context of his post, though, I think the 5000 lb jack is for the Tesla's not for the FFE.

(For the weight reference, see here: http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2014/03/08/weighing-heavy-on-my-mind/ )

cwstnsko said:
Does anyone know if the compressor that comes with the car can be used without injecting the sealant?
Just read the owners manual. There is a section detailing how to use the compressor. In short there is a lever to turn on/off the sealant, thus if you never turn on the sealant you will always just put air in the tire.

cwstnsko said:
The FFE should have all the same jacking point as any other Focus, and the jack does not need to support the full weight of the car, as you only lift one corner at a time.
That's true. However, when I jacked up for FFE from one of the rear jack points far enough to be able to remove a rear tire, I noticed the front tire on the same side was off the ground too!

So, obviously not the full weight, but perhaps half in some cases? In either case, a 2-ton jack should be plenty.

Yes, the 5,000 pounds was for a Tesla.

Correct the FFE is lighter. Although the standard jack for an ICE Focus might not be the right thing to buy, the FFE is heavier. A bottle or floor jack would be a much better choice. Just remember you have to carry all that junk (spare, lug wrench, and jack) around in the car if you really want to change a flat without roadside service.

UPDATE: I got a phone call from the regional Ford manager. As it turns out the Air Pressure Sensor is NOT covered under warranty. They refunded me as a one time courtesy, and will not cover the TPMS in the future if I choose to use sealant again. I'm not sure what will happen with the next case that crosses their desks, so take that into consideration before using the sealant. It does state in the manual that the use of the sealant WILL damage the TPMS and only to use it in an emergency. The TPMS part was $100 and an additional $100 to install.

The compressor itself worked pretty well, just make sure the High Voltage battery is engaged or you'll have a dead 12V on your hands. It blows air by itself, or through the sealant line and can take up to 15 minutes of run time as stated in the manual. I was impressed that there was a needle and another attachment under the compressor, to inflate balls and other inflatable items. I checked out the sealant in the punctured tire at Ford, and it had the viscosity of water. I'm not sure if the sealant was even viable. You might be better off carrying a can of fix a flat, if you went the sealant route.

Back