Charging Power consumption oddity..

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banshee08

I usually drive a Rav4 EV and charge at some chargepoint stations in Ontario, CA and Chino, CA but notice that the sustained power consumption is about 6.2kW but at the same chargepoint stations the my wife's FFE only charges at 5.8kW. Is there a reason to this? At home the FFE draws a sustained 7.1kW from my EVSE???

It just seems strange that both my RAV4 EV and FFE does not both draw the 6.2kW rate from the same charging station.

I have the same issue. I see other vehicles using the same chargepoint station as me drawing much more than the 5.8kW I draw.

The Rav4EV will take up to 40A from an EVSE at Level II voltages (208-240V). The FFE will only take at max 30A, usually closer to 29A. The Chargepoint station is likely advertising 32A. So the difference between the two is 2A. Take 32A/30A * 5.8 kW ~= 6.2 kW (This is just a crude ratio, but you get the point.) They are both lower than your home EVSE (most likely) because the Chargepoint is likely supplied from a 208Vrms nominal voltage source. Your home is most likely 240Vrms nominal.

Back