FFE short term memory

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoops

I have 3 issues with inconsistency in my FFE:

• Audio returns to previous volume setting when starting instead of a default value. Gets my heart pumping a little each time I leave turn off the car with volume on full (WHAT DID YOU SAY?!)
  • Dash illumination always resets itself to FULL. takes 10+ button presses to get it back to a more nightvision-friendly setting.
  • HVAC does not return to previous settings after pressing the ON button. This makes it even harder to turn the HVAC to battery friendly fan-only "mode" (AC off, Temp LO, fan LOW) The L**F has a heat button alongside the AC button which seems like the easiest solution. But the point is that I should be able to press the on button and the settings should be the same as when I turned it off two seconds ago. :evil:

It would be real nice if Ford would tie these preferences to the key being used but one teeny tiny baby step at a time I guess.

None of these were a problem in my old Audi. Maybe there are some settings I missed somewhere? Why hasn't Ford figured out these basic UI concepts over their many years?

scoops said:

• Audio returns to previous volume setting when starting instead of a default value. Gets my heart pumping a little each time I leave turn off the car with volume on full (WHAT DID YOU SAY?!)
  • Normal. Mine does this too.

But, also didn't seem abnormal to me. (Do a lot of other cars have a "return to lower default volume" when you start them again?)

scoops said:
    [*]Dash illumination always resets itself to FULL. takes 10+ button presses to get it back to a more nightvision-friendly setting.
    Abnormal.

Mine remembers the setting.

scoops said:
    [*]HVAC does not return to previous settings after pressing the ON button. This makes it even harder to turn the HVAC to battery friendly fan-only "mode" (AC off, Temp LO, fan LOW) The L**F has a heat button alongside the AC button which seems like the easiest solution. But the point is that I should be able to press the on button and the settings should be the same as when I turned it off two seconds ago. :evil:
Normal. Mine does this too (and this is a common complaint about HVAC always "coming on full blast").

One trick to make the behavior less annoying is to turn on the HVAC by pressing the FAN LO button (instead of the ON/OFF button). That way, it will come on at the lowest fan setting. However, I find that it doesn't always remember to leave A/C in the same state it was the last time HVAC was turned off. I think is related to the ambient temperature (i.e., if the ambient temp is lower than the HVAC temp, the A/C will initially come up ON, if higher, then it will initially come up OFF). That part makes a certain sense, but I too wish the HVAC could simply be turned on/off without causing its settings to change.

WattsUp said:
One trick to make the behavior less annoying is to turn on the HVAC by pressing the FAN LO button (instead of the ON/OFF button). That way, it will come on at the lowest fan setting.

I hadn't thought of this. Thanks.

+1 for dash illumination returning to full on start.
...unless the car has been off less than 5 minutes or so, then it returns to the previous level.

Erik said:
+1 for dash illumination returning to full on start.
...unless the car has been off less than 5 minutes or so, then it returns to the previous level.
Very strange. I set my level quite low (two segments above zero) when I first got the car, and there is has remained.

WattsUp said:
scoops said:

• Normal. Mine does this too.

But, also didn't seem abnormal to me. (Do a lot of other cars have a "return to lower default volume" when you start them again?)

• I had three Saabs from the early 2000s and all of them had a feature where you would program the starting radio volume. The volume would never exceed that setting then when turning on the radio. I miss that feature in the cars we've had since, especially since my wife like the music loud and often leaves the volume quite high.

Back