Gigi

PHEV + EV Household

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:50 pm

We bought a Fusion Energi in November to replace my wife’s car. I became so enamored with driving on electricity that in January, I leased a Focus Electric and parked my gas guzzling F-150. Now, my wife is driving the Electric for her 54 mile commute and I am driving the Energi for my 26 mile commute. It was a hassle for her to plug in the Energi at work. I don’t mind plugging in at the office. With this arrangement, we are able to maximize EV miles. For the last three weeks, we have driven the two cars a total of about 1,500 miles, only 108 of which have been on gasoline. More than 93% of our miles for the two cars in the past three weeks have been EV miles.

Does anybody else have a PHEV + EV household?
2014 Ford Focus Electric - Oxford White
2013 Ford Fusion Energi SE - White Platinum Metallic Tri-coat
2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid - Tuxedo Black Metallic
2005 Ford F-150 Lariat - Arizona Beige Metallic
East Cobb County, Georgia

EVA

Re: PHEV + EV Household

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:05 pm

Very cool story. I'm considering a Fusion Energi. Oddly it is between a number of cars, one of the other front runners is a Focus ST and a Mercedes CLA. I might want a toy instead of practical.

I would have to break down and add another electrical circuit in the garage if I got the Energi. Can't have an argument over which car gets the plug in at night.
2014 Platinum White FFE (Turning in mid Dec. 2016 25,000 miles)
2013 Ingot Silver FFE
2012 Titanium ICE Focus
2014 Tesla Model S 85

Gigi

Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:27 am

EVA wrote:I might want a toy instead of practical.
For me, the Focus Electric is the "toy." A very practical toy, I might add.
EVA wrote:I would have to break down and add another electrical circuit in the garage if I got the Energi. Can't have an argument over which car gets the plug in at night.
That's just what I thought before I got the second car. It turns out that we have had no problems sharing one EVSE. Typically, in the evening after work, the Energi charges first. Even if I don't get home until 8:30 p.m., the Energi will charge in 2 hours and then the Electric gets her turn, charging (or finishing the charge my wife started) while we're in bed asleep.

My wife leaves for work before I do, so the Electric is already connected in the morning to power her GO time. After she leaves, I switch the cord to the Energi to power my GO time.

Switching the cord back and forth has gotten to be a routine. If it ever comes to an argument, the Electric wins since the Energi can always get where it needs to go on gas.

I have thought of installing a second EVSE. Our current unit is only 3.8kWh and a 7.2kWh unit would give the Electric faster charges, but 3 or 4 hours versus 5 or 6 hours charging time makes no difference in the middle of the night while we are asleep. For the present, there are higher priorities on my "to do" list and I don't mind being the "plug jockey."

Gigi

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:31 am

EVA wrote:I'm considering a Fusion Energi.
Give it a close look. It's what lured me deeper into the EV world. Here's more: http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/vi ... =10&t=1771

michael

Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Just about to get a Volt.
2013 FFE Returned after 3 years with 52,000 miles and battery down to 15.2 kWh
2014 Volt returned with 43,000 miles
2014 Volt 26,000 miles
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327
Awaiting a Bolt

Fluke

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:17 pm

I started my addiction with a Volt. My wife quickly annexed the Volt for her use and I got a Focus Electric for my work commute. Then somehow a Tesla Roadster made its way into the garage...

The F-150 in the driveway gets no love now.
2012 White Platinum Ford Focus Electric
Yes, SYNC is that bad

Gigi

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Fluke wrote:The F-150 in the driveway gets no love now.
I still love mine, especially when I've got a load of stuff to haul.

Fluke

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:54 pm

Gigi wrote:
Fluke wrote:The F-150 in the driveway gets no love now.
I still love mine, especially when I've got a load of stuff to haul.
I love that it is a truck that gets used, when needed, as a truck. I use it for hauling dirt, rocks, mulch, tree limbs or whatever else needs to be moved around. Otherwise, it does not get used.
2012 White Platinum Ford Focus Electric
Yes, SYNC is that bad

Gigi

Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:38 pm

Fluke wrote:I love that it is a truck that gets used, when needed, as a truck. I use it for hauling dirt, rocks, mulch, tree limbs or whatever else needs to be moved around. Otherwise, it does not get used.
Yeah, me too. I needed to take my chain saw up to the hardware store to get tuned up. I didn't want a leaky saw in the trunk of one of the cars, so it went in the bed of the truck. 20 miles to the hardware store and back - a part of me was thinking, "This would have cost me only 60¢ in one of the EVs rather than four and a half bucks in the truck, but a trip like that keeps the battery charged, the plugs clean, and doesn't get gas and oil in the back of a car.

I'm in the process of renovating a house, so the pickup really comes in handy. It's a Lariat, with leather, a great audio system with a subwoofer, and all the bells and whistles for its year. I think of what my dad would say about this truck: "Boy, how you gonna hose all the mud and dirt out of that truck when you've got carpet and leather in it?

Having a truck as a backup is great.

v_traveller

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:15 pm

Gigi wrote:I have thought of installing a second EVSE. Our current unit is only 3.8kWh and a 7.2kWh unit would give the Electric faster charges, but 3 or 4 hours versus 5 or 6 hours charging time makes no difference in the middle of the night while we are asleep. For the present, there are higher priorities on my "to do" list and I don't mind being the "plug jockey."
Plug Jockey... so that's what it's called!

Following your lead, I now have a PHEV+BEV household... two BEVs as of last week, here's the story, along with a fuzzy picture:

http://vinn.myevblog.com/2014/02/22/indoor-plumbing/

...and with and no L2 at home, this Plug Jockey has been spending at least several minutes each night strategizing what to plug where and for how long, while maximizing charging during super-off-peak (12am-6am). Fortunately there are two outlets reachable from the driveway - one in the garage and another on the east side of the garage, each on separate 20A circuits. There is a third outlet on the west side of the house, but I have to run a 100ft extension in front of the house to get to it... used it a few times on the Volt, which has an 8A Level 1 charging mode, but I try to avoid it. It's safe at the lower amperage, but it kinda looks ghetto... one of the neighbors might spot the extension cord strewn across the front steps and give me crap, i.e. ask if I am getting an early start on Christmas lights.

There's a 220v 20A outlet in the garage, and I am close to plunking down $500 for a 16A EVSE... but I'm struggling with whether or not I should upgrade the circuit now to 50A, so the RAV4 EV can be charged full-bore (40A). I'm leaning toward just getting the 16A Clipper Creek for now, then putting in a new 50A circuit for the RAV4 down the road sometime. My wife drives the RAV4 less than 20 miles/day, so I really never need to fully charge that big battery overnight... yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

There is a truck in the fleet, a '07 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi, pretty much for the same reasons y'all have. Anxiously awaiting a decent full-sized plug-in truck, hopefully one hits the market at a reasonable price before the Ram wears out...
vin
2015 B-Class Electric Drive - Cirrus White
2014 Volt - Summit White
2014 RAV4 EV - Blizzard Pearl White
2013 FFE - White Platinum Metallic (2/2013 -12/2015)
http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”