After SSN are others having missed starts?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

az erik

This started after I got the SSN fixed and at the same time I switched to 240v charging at home.

I'd say out of 30 or so starts a week 10 fail to start the car (a/c is on but no green "drive now"). At first I thought it was just after charging but it's done it more as of late. Anyone else have this? It's also oddly 95% of the time happening at home.

If you mean: Get in and press the start button and not see the little car. I see this from time to time--but I also saw this prior to the SSN recall.
In my case whenever it happens I usually just have to hit the start button again and I get the green car (while still keeping my foot on the brake).
I think I've only had it once where it refused to turn on and I had to kill the car and open the door (strangely enough this was with the wife sitting in the car so I also had to deal with her remarks as well LOL). That instance, though, was before the SSN fix.

This is nothing new. Happens to everybody. It is unrelated to the software updates.

The cause: You're starting the car "too fast". Seriously. You've probably just developed a faster and faster muscle memory for your FFE start-up routine, and how you're moving a little too fast.

For more details, search these forums for past threads concerning "RTD" (which is short for "ready-to-drive", which is the name of that green car light you're referring to; aka, "the-ready-to-drive light" or the "RTD light").

I don't remove my foot from the brake though, that's why I'm a touch confused why it's too fast. I never had this happen until the SSN but at that time I hit the 2500 mile mark as well.

I too had it happen with my wife in the car... "what was that all about?"
me: 'don't know, I guess it doesn't like you'

Did you read the past threads? It's not about releasing the brake. You have to pause between pressing the brake and pressing the Start button.

If you press the Start button too quickly after pressing the brake, RTD mode may not engage. But, if you make a habit of "waiting a beat" (like, a 1/2 second) between pressing the brake and pressing Start, it should always work. You just have to make this pattern a habit.

Some people also report that shifting out of Park too quickly after pressing the Start button can also cause RTD to fail to engage. Again, just slow down and wait a beat between actions.

Buckle your seatbelt before you move the gearshift. That's more than enough time to make sure you don't shift too fast.

Thanks WattsUp for the reminder about brake, pause, start button. I now know exactly why I don't always get the ready to drive light.

'I'd say out of 30 or so starts a week 10 fail to start the car (a/c is on but no green "drive now"). At first I thought it was just after charging but it's done it more as of late. Anyone else have this? It's also oddly 95% of the time happening at home.'

This happens to me from time to time, but not as frequently. I may be wrong, but the few times I was paying attention, it seemed to happen when I had my foot on the brake too long before I pushed the button. I get in, put my foot on the brake, buckle up, and then push the button. It could also be that I hold the button too long. Like someone else mentioned, I just push the button again and up pops the green car. I have not (knock on wood) had an SSN and I have had the update completed.

Sorry if this doesn't full address your question. The only thing I can suggest is that you be very deliberate everytime you start the car for the next few weeks and see if you can correlate the result with a specific action.

Cheers, Oilman

This is a bit different than other observations but for me, there is a delay from when you press start to when the car looks at the brake position and the shifter position. If you press the brake when you press start, but lift your foot or shift out of park before the green car shows up, then the green car will not show.

I tried this today... Foot off the brake...press start.. put foot on brake before green car would normally show and I got the green light. So there should be no truck to it. You just have to have your foot on the brake and the shifter in park before the car checks, which is about a half second after pressing start.

If you find you are compliant, take it to the dealer and have them check it out. Maybe a sensor isn't quite detecting the brake or shifter position correctly.

Just wanted to "+1" on the intermittent miss of having the RTD light illuminate.
As others have suggested, I'll be more deliberate with my actions and see if it's more consistent. :)

Back