Gigi

First Range Challenge

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:57 am

Up until now, the longest trip we have taken in "Effie" has been 40 miles. In winter temperatures and needing to use the heater, I have been hesitant to turn the car over to my wife for her 54 mile round trip commute. I don't want her to worry about range and I would like her to be able to use the climate control freely when she needs it without worrying about making it home.

This morning, my wife left on a planned trip that will stretch the range we have previously driven. Her first leg is 27 miles to her office for work. Second leg is 24 miles to my office to meet me and our kids to ride to a show in another car. Third leg is 13 miles home for a total of 64 miles. She left with a charge of 89 miles and a budget surplus of +25. Temperature was 56 degrees and it was raining. The car was pre-conditioned to 72 degrees. She is likely to need to use the defrost to keep the windshield clear, which will affect the budget surplus.

The trip my wife is on today is 10 miles longer than her daily commute. I hope that if Effie makes it home tonight with kWh to spare, my wife will feel fully confident in the car taking her on her regular 54 mile commute. We shall see.

1st Update: First leg, 27 miles to work completed. 53 miles range remaining. Budget surplus decreased by 9 miles to +16. I am guessing that when she turned the car off the heater was on, negatively affecting the range estimate. I'm curious to see the numbers when we meet after work this afternoon.

2nd Update: Second leg complete. 39 miles battery remaining with the final leg being only 13 miles to go. Budget surplus up to +26. My worries about range are fading away.

Last Update: Effie made it home with 23 miles to spare. The total trip was 61.3 miles, which is 3 miles less than what the navigation system predicted. 61 traveled + 23 surplus = 84 available range for today's driving and today's conditions. This is close to the 89 mile range she started with this morning and 8 miles more than the 76 mile range that is advertized.

My hope has been that my wife can easily make her 54 mile commute and do a couple of errands on the way home without worrying - or rather, without me worrying about her worrying about range. I think that today's trip should put both of our worries at rest. Now we can both sit back and just enjoy driving on electricity.
Last edited by Gigi on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2014 Ford Focus Electric - Oxford White
2013 Ford Fusion Energi SE - White Platinum Metallic Tri-coat
2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid - Tuxedo Black Metallic
2005 Ford F-150 Lariat - Arizona Beige Metallic
East Cobb County, Georgia

jmueller065

Re: First Range Challenge

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:00 am

LOL I'd love to have that kind of range (and temperatures)! When I left for work this morning for my 30 mile round-trip commute:
  • - It was 8F out
    - The car somehow thought that it did not need to precondition
    - Our roads somewhat resembled yours last week with a bunch of ice on them (over the weekend we got snow, then sleet, then rain, and then the temps dropped to 8F...this winter can end any time now)
I was mighty cold arriving at work this morning....brrrr

When it was warmer last fall and summer I would regularly make 60+ mile trips without requiring a charge.
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

Gigi

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:02 am

jmueller065 wrote: Our roads somewhat resembled yours last week with a bunch of ice on them (over the weekend we got snow, then sleet, then rain, and then the temps dropped to 8F...this winter can end any time now)
I'm glad you survived the roads. When I got home Tuesday, I went on Amazon right away and ordered chains for all the cars in the household. I hope to never have to use them.

We didn't get down to the single digits, but we were in the low teens. I'd like for my wife to be able to drive to work and back with heat or AC if she wants it and not have to bother with charging or worrying about making it home. I'm fine with her using the FFEnergi on the coldest days so that she doesn't have to worry about range and me drive the FFElectric for my shorter commute. I am anxious to see whether the FFElectric can perform as advertized. Hopefully, today will be a confidence builder.

jstack6

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:42 pm

The FFE doesn't have a very efficient heater or Air conditioner. Our 2013 LEAF uses a heat pump that seems to use less than half the energy of the FFE. We heard if you cycle the heater on and off it will do better. Also using the car seat heaters for 1 person can also save energy.

When the new Tesla Gen III comes out with 200 mile range we won't have to struggle very often. Until then the FFE and LEAF are not bad and getting better.

jmueller065

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:14 pm

jstack6 wrote:The FFE doesn't have a very efficient heater or Air conditioner. Our 2013 LEAF uses a heat pump that seems to use less than half the energy of the FFE. We heard if you cycle the heater on and off it will do better. Also using the car seat heaters for 1 person can also save energy.
Actually the A/C in the FFE is very efficient and doesn't use much power at all. Ford developed a very efficient variable A/C compressor.
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)

WattsUp

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:52 pm

jstack6 wrote:Also using the car seat heaters for 1 person can also save energy.
Both front seats have heaters.

Are you saying that using (both of) them for two people doesn't save energy? (versus the climate heater)

Or, are you referring to one very wide person?
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

Gigi

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:34 pm

My wife completed her 56 mile commute today with a 27 mile surplus. She could have run the heater more, but with people driving crazy in the rain and backups behind accidents this evening, she started to worry about having enough range, so she cranked up the seat warmer and drove most of her drive without the heater.

It'll take a while yet for her to learn how much to trust the range estimate and how much of that she can expend on the heater. Whenever it gets cold enough that range becomes a question, we will just switch cars and she can drive the Energi for her commute and I can drive the FFE for my shorter commute.

I like the idea of saving money by driving on electricity, but the virtue of that only goes so far when being uncomfortably cold and shivering is involved.

jmueller065

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:12 am

Gigi wrote:My wife completed her 56 mile commute today with a 27 mile surplus. She could have run the heater more, but with people driving crazy in the rain and backups behind accidents this evening, she started to worry about having enough range, so she cranked up the seat warmer and drove most of her drive without the heater.
That is a common thing most new EV drivers have to get used to: traffic jams are good for EVs range. Since you're not moving as fast you're using less energy and are more efficient. In addition sitting there stopped doesn't burn any power at all.
I've noticed this affect on the "first snow days" when you get very little snow but everyone drives like there is a blizzard out. In these instances I've almost have been as efficient as summer!
Of course the exception to this is the heater: being stopped in traffic may cause you to run the heater longer using up precious electrons in the process. It's all part of the EV experience...
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)

WattsUp

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:14 am

jmueller065 wrote:
Gigi wrote:... she started to worry about having enough range, so she cranked up the seat warmer and drove most of her drive without the heater.
Of course the exception to this is the heater: being stopped in traffic may cause you to run the heater longer using up precious electrons in the process. It's all part of the EV experience...
I think that is exactly the reasoning Gigi was alluding to.
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

Gigi

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 am

Gigi wrote:... she started to worry about having enough range, so she cranked up the seat warmer and drove most of her drive without the heater.
After 5 and a half hours stuck in the Atlanta Snow Jam last week, she's a little worried about being stuck in a car stopped behind a wreak for a long period of time in cold temperatures.

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”