Tax credit and the IRS update.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffand

Well after four delay letters and two appeals I have finally got my full tax return. It only took over 10 months to get the remaining $1700.

Here are some quotes from the final letter I received from the IRS.

“Please disregard our letter number 96C Dated 2013. We apologize for out error. A revised notice will be issued within two to three weeks verifying your 2012 account adjustment to your original figures.”

I did receive a check from the IRS in January of 2014 for my 2012 taxes.
:arrow: This refund dragged on so long that they ended up paying me $37 in interest.

When taking the tax credit for “Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit” (Form 8936) can reduce your tax liability to zero. The credit is not limited by the Alternative Minimum Tax (ATM), or the Tentative Minimum Tax (TMT). The only thing that limits this is the amount on line 46 of the 1040 form must be greater or equal to the tax credit.

I'm sure the IRS has reduced other EV owner’s tax refunds by claiming the ATM or TMT is limiting the credit. If they have done this I would fight it until they give you the full refund.

Back