My friend bought a Volt....some thoughts

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael

Based on my great enthusiasm for my electric car, my friend looked into one. I tried to steer him to a FFE, but he couldn't deal with the possibility of needing to go beyond electric range...despite the fact that he would still own two regular cars.

I told him that the Volt forums were consumed with discussion of how little gasoline had been consumed, leading one to wonder why all these people didn't just buy a pure electric. Nonetheless, he went with the Volt. He paid almost exactly the same as he would have for an FFE fully optioned.

I've tried out his Volt, and it is a good car. Drives well and is well appointed. I do feel that the interior of the FFE is nicer, has features like power seats, etc that are lacking in the Volt (for the same money, they included a gas engine, something had to go I guess). All in all it's a pretty nice car, makes a sensible replacement for a long-range ICE vehicle and I may well get one when the lease on my wife's ICE runs out.

But the interesting point is he now LOVES the idea of electric cars, hates the thought of going to a gas station, watches the little economy ball....but he has already fallen into the Volt-owner's hole....he can't bear to burn even a drop of gasoline. He points out that the half-gallon lifetime consumption was logged at the dealer before he got the car...not his fault! I believe he is likely to modify his driving to avoid burning any gas rather than taking advantage of the fact that the Volt has a engine which can be used when needed. In many cases, the additional electric range provided by a pure EV would have allowed the trip.

I believe that many Volt buyers would have been better off with a 70-80 mile electric car rather than with a 40 mile Volt with a gas engine that they frantically avoid ever using, especially in the case of families that have one or more ICE vehicles still available for long trips.

I think the gas engine provides a safety net they can rely on in the event they run out of juice. Kind of like an insurance policy; you hope to never cash in. I like the Volt and it was on my list of cars to consider, but in the end, the FFE was the clear choice for me. One of the main reasons, I didn't want to deal with the added system complexity of a hybrid. In addition, it needs to be smogged in CA to ensure it meets emission standards. It also needs to be maintained. Be sure your friend adds some fuel stablizer to the tank....and it would probably be a good idea to run the engine from time to time to make sure it keeps running. I'm not sure of the similarities to a typical generator, but stand-alone generators sometimes mandate monthly operation. I'm sure the volt manual would spell it out if it needed it.

I can respond to some of these issues related to the Volt. I used to have one. The FFE replaced it. :) so the computer in the Volt will force the engine to run at a certain time if the engine has not run. It does this to use some of the gas and to also move the oil around. No fuel stabilizer is needed. Best thing to do if not using much is leave the tank empty. I used to only keep like 2-3 gallons on board. Less weight as well. And I too was in that camp of hating when I did have to run the engine especially when I was like 2 miles or so short of my destination and it would come on for such a short period of time. I'm so happy to have the FFE now. I've yet to have any range issues. But I also plan my trips and the wife has a PIP woof we takes road trip we just go in her car. Oh yeah and the Volt is exempt from smogging in CA. I was suprised to find that out when I first got the car but if you check the DMV rules on smog it says that plug in hybrids are not required to smog. So that's nice I guess.

Astrand1 said:
...DMV rules on smog it says that plug in hybrids are not required to smog. So that's nice I guess.
It doesn't surprise me and that's great news. I do like the Volt and was interested in them when they came out; but when the FFE came along, I was more drawn in to purchase an EV than with the Volt.

Yeah I loved my Volt but I'm so much happier with the FFE. I really don't think I can ever or will ever go back to a car powered by gas. The smoothness and quiet among many other things has me ruined! Lol. Oh I forgot to mention also in relation to the gas staying fresh in the Volt it also has a special made fuel tank that is pressurized so that also helps to keep it fresh longer.

There was a study done that said Volt owners suffer from even more range anxiety than Leaf owners because of their fear of using gasoline and only have a smaller percentage of the range. :lol:

It is good to know you won't be stranded anywhere though.

thait84 said:
There was a study done that said Volt owners suffer from even more range anxiety than Leaf owners because of their fear of using gasoline and only have a smaller percentage of the range. :lol:

Yeah it's probably better to be stressed over trying to never use gas compared to "Oh crap I have 1 mile left and there are no chargers in site"

pjam3 said:
thait84 said:

Yeah it's probably better to be stressed over trying to never use gas compared to "Oh crap I have 1 mile left and there are no chargers in site"

That's true, but we have twice the range before dealing with that problem so it's less likely to occur.

When stories about GM producing the "Volt", first came out, I was beside myself. I heard about a press briefing in Florida, where the designer, Bob Boniface, would be showing the first design Volt. I was so charged up on the Volt, I felt I couldn't miss it. I bought plane tickets for my wife and I, and flew down to Miami.

It was so fortunate that I was able to speak personally with Mr. Boniface after the program. He was such a nice person, he even allowed me sit in the prototype and answered questions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8vSU5vf0qI

By the time, I was about to purchase it, news about the FFE came out, and I decided to wait for it.

Back