Los Angeles to Palmdale ... Is it possible??

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael

Has anyone tried making it to Palmdale from anywhere in the Los Angeles area?? Distance is maybe 40 to 60 miles depending on where you start but you need to get over a 3500 or so foot elevation at Pearblossom. Plenty of charging stations in Palmdale and should be easy getting back.

Anyone tried??

40 miles from Palmdale puts you at the bottom of the 14 Freeway, 60 miles away is Downtown, correct? Haven't tried it yet.

Here's a data point you might consider: I live in Santa Clarita (elevation about 1200ft); going back home from anywhere in the LA Basin that's 40 miles away takes me about 60% charge (~11kWh), if I drive at freeway speed limits. Knowing that, I don't think I'd venture to Palmdale for the first time with anything less than a full charge from the start of the 14 freeway. I would also favor taking Sierra Highway instead of the freeway; easier to hypermile without pissing too many people off due to its lower speed limits.

If starting 60 miles from Palmdale, I'd top off at the free Sylmar Metrolink charger before starting the ascent.

Let me know if you try it... I'll post if I end up doing it.

I see there's a charger at the kohls in Santa Clarita as well. But I'd plan on that only in case of emergency. If I can't make it on one charge I'll suffer and tke he regular car

There's also a residential plug sharer at Lake Palmdale, but I don't think that's critical. If one makes it to there it's downhill in either direction

Veloroutes.com provides tool for making elevation maps of a route. Looks like the real climbing is done before reaching Acton. Beyond that it's up and down..

Back