Charging rate display?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcsharp

Is there anywhere that displays the rate of charging? And the volts? Surely it must be in a menu somewhere but I can't find it.

Also is there a way to enable a warning if you try to drive off with the charge port door open? I often see my wife heading off to work that way...

hcsharp said:
Is there anywhere that displays the rate of charging? And the volts? Surely it must be in a menu somewhere but I can't find it.
Unfortunately, no.

hcsharp said:
Also is there a way to enable a warning if you try to drive off with the charge port door open? I often see my wife heading off to work that way...
No, there is no sensor in the charging door what would let the car know it is open. Making sure it is closed is simply a habit that you'll have to develop.

For some reason, at first, I would frequently forget to close my charging door (despite the fact that I hardly ever forgot to close the gas cap on my old car). Now that I have made checking that is is closed a habit, I rarely leave it open any more.

I have had my Focus for about 3 weeks and have left the charge port door open a number of times. You are right, you have to get in the habit of closing the door when you remove the cable.

One thing I was wondering just this morning as I closed the door. The cover does not seem very robust and the hinge feels pretty flimsy as well. For those of you who have had your car a little longer, how has the charge port door held up? Has anyone broken the cover? I have a 3 year lease, so I am not too worried, but while the rest of the car feels so tight and well-constructed (ok, except the cargo cover), the charge port door is definitely the exception.

Oilman

OK, thanks for your help. I'm using a DIY EVSE so I will probably add a function to measure the amps. It would be handy at public charging stations though.

Oilman,

A number of people have commented on the door design. Most have had the same opinion as yourself... As the months go by, however, you tend to get the hang of shutting the door with the least amount of effort.

I'm always afraid that with my wife's longer finger nails, I may, one day, find scratches on the paint. :shock:

I believe, however, that most would say, it is a cool design, but will it last for the duration??!

I simply unplug the car with my left hand, and close the charging port door with my right hand. For a right handed person you need to make this a habbit. Doing this way will help prevent accidentally leaving the charge port door open.

jeffand said:
I simply unplug the car with my left hand, and close the charging port door with my right hand. For a right handed person you need to make this a habbit. Doing this way will help prevent accidentally leaving the charge port door open.

Hi, jeffand,

Yes. It's a good idea to get into habits like that. Ever since my wife left it in drive and drained the 12 volt :eek: , she, and I, always do the same thing when shutting down... She says out loud, "Park...Lights...Off".

Doesn't work for me. I rarely get in or out of a car without something in one of my hands. Your two handed approach requires setting something down. The charge port door is a bad design IMHO. The best EV should take you 2-3 seconds to plug in and unplug using only one hand.

jeffand said:

I'm not a huge fan of the door either, it does feel cheap. Time will really only tell if it survives.

Remember with gas you have to flip open the door and close it after you've filled the car up. With Fords you don't have to mess with a gas cap, but other cars you have to bother with a cap also. Compared to a gas car, this is a lot easier.

Oh if we sort of think Tesla probably did things right, you have to flip a door on those also, no auto close or auto open. Hey, when the door handles on that car gracefully slide out, and end up flush with the car when you close the door, you'd think they would do something funky with the charge door.

EVA said:
Tesla probably did things right, you have to flip a door on those also, no auto close or auto open. Hey, when the door handles on that car gracefully slide out, and end up flush with the car when you close the door, you'd think they would do something funky with the charge door.
The charging door on the Model S is pretty funky... there's a button on the Tesla connector that makes it flip open automatically, ready for you to plug in.

Watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHy5_uixupE

It's cool, but seems a little incomplete to not make it auto-close, too.

oilman said:
I have had my Focus for about 3 weeks and have left the charge port door open a number of times. You are right, you have to get in the habit of closing the door when you remove the cable.
The cover does not seem very robust and the hinge feels pretty flimsy as well. For those of you who have had your car a little longer, how has the charge port door held up? Has anyone broken the cover?
Oilman
Have been using (and liking) ours for a bit over a year now.
No problem with that cover, once I got in the habit of checking it (quick tap in middle after pushing it in at the obvious indentation). Agree with you that it seems flimsy, but it works ... and so good to skip messing with my old car's gasoline cap, its cover, trip to gas. station, ...

Charging rate: I would like to see that displayed, and think it should not be hard to do. I believe the car does sense the current, & uses that to estimate when charging will be completed.
When I use a public ChargePoint outlet, am glad to read the kW rate on its display. Good to know that is close to what I expect (especially in case I left the Ford set to "Value Charge" when I need power now, at the mall).

Back