Tiered/flat-rate vs. time-of-day use electric rate plans

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBGuy

I recently asked Southern California Edison to estimate whether or not I would benefit from time-of-day use electricity rates, or would be better off staying on the tiered/flat rate schedule I'm currently on. SCE does this as a service to customers, and I'm under the impression that other utilities provide a similar service.

I asked SCE not because my electric bills are currently high - I have a rooftop photovoltaic system - but because a neighbor who has a Volt experienced "sticker shock" after charging his Volt for a month. He didn't have a solar electric system when he first bought the car, but does, now. SCE's tiered rates start at $0.1300/kwh, and gradually increase to $0.31/kwh in the fourth or highest tier. Which tier one's home will fall into depends upon where you live - how much baseline you have - and whether or not there is any additional baseline, e.g., for medical reasons. Since we're near the coast, we fall into Baseline Group 6. SCE "net meters" the electricity I generate, which generally works well, but if I generate more than I produce, I'm not paid for it.

Long story short, after reviewing my usage and running the numbers, SCE advised me not to switch. For others, who don't generate their own electricity, the recommendation could be different. SCE's "Super Off Peak" rate is $0.06/kwh from midnight to 0600, vs. a peak rate of $0.31/kwh for time of day use rates. If one's consumption is low during the day, and mostly at night, TOD rates might help. To further complicate matters, SCE also offers an option to install a separate meter and offers a lower rate/kwh. However, the charge for the additional meter is likely too high to justify this option for most drivers. Again, it may or may not make sense, depending upon usage.

In short, if electricity rates are a concern, check with your provider and ask them to analyze which plan works best for you. You may not make any change, but it might save you a few $$$, too.

2013 Ford Focus Electric, Ice Storm exterior; Stone Leather interior
ClipperCreek LCS-25 Level 2 charger
Sunpower 2.8 kw rooftop photovoltaic system and abundant California sunshine

We have San Diego Gas and Electric for our provider.
We saved approx $70-80/mo after switching to the TOU2 rates. Don't have a separate meter, so whole house consumption is on Time of Use.

HBGuy said:
I recently asked Southern California Edison to estimate whether or not I would benefit from time-of-day use electricity rates, or would be better off staying on the tiered/flat rate schedule I'm currently on. SCE does this as a service to customers, and I'm under the impression that other utilities provide a similar service.

I asked SCE not because my electric bills are currently high - I have a rooftop photovoltaic system - but because a neighbor who has a Volt experienced "sticker shock" after charging his Volt for a month. He didn't have a solar electric system when he first bought the car, but does, now. SCE's tiered rates start at $0.1300/kwh, and gradually increase to $0.31/kwh in the fourth or highest tier. Which tier one's home will fall into depends upon where you live - how much baseline you have - and whether or not there is any additional baseline, e.g., for medical reasons. Since we're near the coast, we fall into Baseline Group 6. SCE "net meters" the electricity I generate, which generally works well, but if I generate more than I produce, I'm not paid for it.

Long story short, after reviewing my usage and running the numbers, SCE advised me not to switch. For others, who don't generate their own electricity, the recommendation could be different. SCE's "Super Off Peak" rate is $0.06/kwh from midnight to 0600, vs. a peak rate of $0.31/kwh for time of day use rates. If one's consumption is low during the day, and mostly at night, TOD rates might help. To further complicate matters, SCE also offers an option to install a separate meter and offers a lower rate/kwh. However, the charge for the additional meter is likely too high to justify this option for most drivers. Again, it may or may not make sense, depending upon usage.

In short, if electricity rates are a concern, check with your provider and ask them to analyze which plan works best for you. You may not make any change, but it might save you a few $$$, too.

2013 Ford Focus Electric, Ice Storm exterior; Stone Leather interior
ClipperCreek LCS-25 Level 2 charger
Sunpower 2.8 kw rooftop photovoltaic system and abundant California sunshine

WOW, sounds pretty complicated. In Tucson it's pretty much .09 cents a kw anytime of the day.
Moved here from OC 3yrs ago and love the low electricity rated.
My 1, 600sf ft house electric bill is usually only $50-$60. Expecting it to go up $10-15 a month now since I got the FFE a few weeks ago. I commute 64 miles a day and charge at work for free.
BTW, used to live off Beach&Adams in Seabridge, 19th& Orange, CM next to triangle square and all over Went to Westminster High about 25yrs ago.
I miss the beach, too friggn hot in the desert.

I live in SCE zone 8. My rates seem to be a little higher than zone 6. As for a good analysis, SCE doesn't do a good job. They don't look at how you use power during the day. They just look at the total. If you have TOU, there is also a TOU EV, which is even better still. It only really matters when you use power. We have a little use during peak, but car charging is all on Super off peak and most regular use is at Off Peak. 1/3 of my electricity use is for charging the car and my bill is at $155 +/- $10. Withought TOU, I think I'd be at $180 or so. I'm in the process of writing a script that will compare, but haven't done it yet.

If you have solar TOU can be even better, but if you use alot of power during the day, then it wouldn't be. SCE credits you when you over generate in the amount of what that power would have cost you if the direction were reversed. That credit will then offset power drawn later, say at super off peak when you charge your car. If On peak were 2x the cost of super off peak, then you can now pull 2kws of power for ever kilo watt you over generated. At the end of the year, with net metering, SCE, from what I understand, will give you the option of taking a cash-out of any overgeneration (at substantially lower value) or roll the credit over into the next year (at full value).

I do have TOU EV, but I haven't done the solar yet. This is just a result of the research I have done.

Back