When are you in charge now mode verses value charge mode

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper7821

I'm on MyFordMobile and the will finish charging is saying the car will be charged at 8:43am but it's only 3:20pm.
Under that it says Value Charge, when I click it it changes to Charge Now.

I don't want any value charge since the rates are the same all day and night.
Is it in Charge Now mode when the Value Charge button is there or the Charge Now button.
I'm a bit confused.
On the right bottom of the screen under charge settings, the Value Charge Profiles says Default Profile and next to that it says charge now.
Am I correct that I'm in charge now mode and with the button on the top of the screen under when it says it will be done charging says Value Charge so if I click it, then it goes into Value Charge ?

I think i'm correct because if I click the value charge button the value charge profiles changed to value charge
I just don't get why it says it will be charged at 8:43am. It says it's 58% charged.

Jasper7821 said:
Am I correct that I'm in charge now mode and with the button on the top of the screen under when it says it will be done charging says Value Charge so if I click it, then it goes into Value Charge ?

I think you are correct. I agree it's confusing. Playing with mine right now I can't seem to get it to stop charging even when I select value charge, so I can't really verify.

I don't know why it would take that long to charge...with mine plugged into 110 I get about 1.5kW/h, so to do 42% of the battery would take about seven hours.

If you go look at the car, I think if it's in "value charge" and it's not currently charging, the charge ring will be dark. Otherwise if it's "charge now" and charging you should see the ring glowing.

Jasper7821 said:
I'm a bit confused.
On the right bottom of the screen under charge settings, the Value Charge Profiles says Default Profile and next to that it says charge now.
The button at the top-left of the main MFM webpage changes your default profile to whatever mode the button is currently labeled with. Thus, if the button is currently labeled "Value Charge" and you click it, your default profile will be switched into Value Charge mode. Likewise, if the button is labeled "Charge Now" and you click it, your default profile will be switched into Charge Now mode. It is a stunningly bad user-interface, but just remember that the button does what it currently says. (Sounds "simple" when you say it, but confusing when you see it.)

There's a somewhat better user-interface in the "Charge Settings" page, which you can reach by clicking the "View All" link in the "Value Charge Settings" section of the main MFM page. There, you will find a sliding "switch" labeled "Value Charge Setting" (actually one switch for each profile, if you have multiple). It slides back and fourth, and is always labeled with the current mode for the given profile. This is potentially a less confusing UI, but probably still ends up confusing people because the switch label works in the opposite manner from the button label on the main page. :roll: (It might have been better to have consistently used the "switch" motif everywhere, including the main page.)

Personally, I think Ford should have used an even simpler on/off switch plainly labeled "Value Charge". The "value charging" feature is either on or off. And when off, it would just be common sense that the car will then be "normal charging" (meaning, whenever it is plugged in). They way feature is currently presented, both by employing two names ("Charge Now" and "Value Charge") for what is really a single concept ("value charging"), and by using ambiguous and inconsistent visual treatments, is somewhat of an overall user-interface fail. By trying to make it simple, they just made it confusing, IMO.

----

Btw, you can always simply check/verify the current mode of your default profile by looking at the Value Charge Settings section on the main MFM page, where it is always displayed. And for the absolute "source of truth", you can also open the door of your FFE and examine the right-hand instrument cluster gauge, which will show the current charge mode and expected start/stop times. This display also appears when you turn the car off, and you can even change the current mode (in both cases) from the right-hand steering wheel LRUD pad.

WattsUp said:
Personally, I think Ford should have used an even simpler on/off switch plainly labeled "Value Charge". The "value charging" feature is either on or off. And when off, it would just be common sense that the car will then be "normal charging" (meaning, whenever it is plugged in). They way feature is currently presented, both by employing two names ("Charge Now" and "Value Charge") for what is really a single concept ("value charging"), and by using ambiguous and inconsistent visual treatments, is somewhat of an overall user-interface fail. By trying to make it simple, they just made it confusing, IMO.

I'd be happy simply if all the reported numbers on the MFM web site were accurate (and non-zero)!

WattsUp said:
Jasper7821 said:
I'm a bit confused.
The button at the top-left of the main MFM webpage changes your default profile to whatever mode the button is currently labeled with. Thus, if the button is currently labeled "Value Charge" and you click it, your default profile will be switched into Value Charge mode. Likewise, if the button is labeled "Charge Now" and you click it, your default profile will be switched into Charge Now mode. It is a stunningly bad user-interface, but just remember that the button does what it currently says. (Sounds "simple" when you say it, but confusing when you see it.)

There's a somewhat better user-interface in the "Charge Settings" page, which you can reach by clicking the "View All" link in the "Value Charge Settings" section of the main MFM page. There, you will find a sliding "switch" labeled "Value Charge Setting" (actually one switch for each profile, if you have multiple). It slides back and fourth, and is always labeled with the current mode for the given profile. This is potentially a less confusing UI, but probably still ends up confusing people because the switch label works in the opposite manner from the button label on the main page. :roll: (It might have been better to have consistently used the "switch" motif everywhere, including the main page.)

----

Btw, you can always simply check/verify the current mode of your default profile by looking at the Value Charge Settings section on the main MFM page, where it is always displayed. And for the absolute "source of truth", you can also open the door of your FFE and examine the right-hand instrument cluster gauge, which will show the current charge mode and expected start/stop times. This display also appears when you turn the car off, and you can even change the current mode (in both cases) from the right-hand steering wheel LRUD pad.

Great. Thank you very much. Got it now.

Back