Who hasn't had a Stop Safely Now or other major malfunction?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been keeping the spreadsheet linked in the "Stop Safely Now Stats" thread up to date with the latest reports here:

http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=999

Granted not everyone who has had the SSN issue(s) have reported in on the forums here.

kmaluo said:
Please report your year and mileage.
Black 2013, 500 miles and cringing...

Ha! I also have a Black 2013 but with 400 miles and am hoping that all continues to be well. So far I've not had a single issue, even with Sync! Everything has worked flawlessly. I seem to remember that a lot of people were having issues just after 1100 miles or so. I'm betting they gave extra care to the black colored cars because they knew that was the only color the cool people would pick.

FFE Ignot Silver 2012, 4303 miles, only problem was the charge cord provided failed to charge and was replaced

No (knock on wood) other issues!!

Mine is a 2013 FFE purchased new January 2013 with 5200 miles so far and no major issues. Overall, the car has been a dream.

That said, I've had about four "yellow wrench" (YW) occurrences, but they always go away (and I don't see another for weeks) by turning the car off/on. And, whenever I've performed a Vehicle Health Check (immediately after), nothing wrong is ever reported. Looking back, I'm pretty sure all of my YWs have happened when driving at freeway speeds and adjusting the cruise control (up/down one notch, for example). Basically, just as I press the steering wheel control, the YW appears. So, for now, I am going to chalk them up to (best situation) a software bug or (worst situation) some kind of "real" issue that happens only randomly and rarely.

---

Edit: I have no idea why I abbreviated yellow wrench as YT before. :lol: YW!

2013, ~4900 miles since Feb 2. I'd get you the exact mileage, but I'm too lazy to go outside and MFM seems to think I've gone ~800 miles farther than the truth.

1. Stop Safely Now: once, but it was self-inflicted. Ran out of charge a few miles from home.
2. Other major malfunction: Speeding ticket last Tuesday (doh!). But that was pilot error, just like #1.

Despite the various SW glitches and the HVAC fan control crapping out due to a bent pin, I absolutely love my FFE and appreciate the great service and sales at the local Ford dealership. No regrets.

Edit: Make that 4898 oil-free miles... thanks for the tip, WattsUp!!!

v_traveller said:
2013, ~4900 miles since Feb 2. I'd get you the exact mileage, but I'm too lazy to go outside and MFM seems to think I've gone ~800 miles farther than the truth.
No need to get up... your current actual mileage is displayed at myfordmobile.com in the "Vehicle Info" tab in the "My Car" section.

You are right, the mileage shown in the "My Driving" section is totally exaggerated. Mine is about +1K miles off.

I've got about 1300 miles and going on 3 months on my 2013 and I haven't had a single issue so far! I'm using 110V for charging (2x/wk) and usually only driving around town.

2013 with 6100 miles and no major problems.
Owned since Sept 2012.
The only issue is the car woun't connect to Sync services. This is most likely due to a phone incompatability issue.
Virgin Mobil HTC EVO

2013 that I picked up at the end of February. 1,977 miles on it without a single issue. I drove 84 miles on one charge last weekend to see how it would do pushing it to the limit of the range according to the GOM. I made it to my destination with the low battery warning on. I think this car is fantastic and enjoy it every time I drive it.

FFE 2013 been driving since Feb 2013, commuting 40 miles daily, total 2171 miles, without any issues. Love it.

7,800 miles on our 2012. One "Stop Safely" briefly, while parked in our garage: was trying to turn car on (!) for first time that day (fully charged). Think the computer didn't wake up right.
I pressed Start/Stop, waited longer enough for all displays to go dark, then tried again: worked fine.

2013 Model Leased early Feb, 2013. 3,050 Miles with no Major Problems.

Minor Problems:
MFT locking up. Cleared on Power cycle. Happened once.
Shifting into 'R', no response to gas pedal. Shifted to 'D' then back to 'R', worked. Happened Twice.
Yellow Wrench appearing once after a full charge. Went away on its own.

2012 with 11,200 miles and fingers and toes crossed...no stop safely issues.

I've had every SYNC software glitch known to man though.

JTCalif said:
7,800 miles on our 2012. One "Stop Safely" briefly, while parked in our garage: was trying to turn car on (!) for first time that day (fully charged). Think the computer didn't wake up right.
I pressed Start/Stop, waited longer enough for all displays to go dark, then tried again: worked fine.

I think that 90+% of these issues are just software glitches. I have had the message 3 times - each time I just turn the car off and back on and the problem goes away. It can be annoying, but is not a "major problem".

I have 6900 miles and I have had no significant issues. I love this car.

Gatorman82 said:
JTCalif said:

I think that 90+% of these issues are just software glitches. I have had the message 3 times - each time I just turn the car off and back on and the problem goes away. It can be annoying, but is not a "major problem".

I have 6900 miles and I have had no significant issues. I love this car.

It absolutely can be a "major problem". See most of the descriptions posted, describing how the warning and car's loss of power tends to occur while slowing or coming to a stop. At an intersection, it's pretty dangerous. On a highway, it is extremely dangerous. Even IF it's a software glitch, it is a major problem for those of us who experience it. Several of us have been able to power down the car and start back up successfully like you, but it took me ~5 minutes both times it happened to me. 5 minutes immobile at a 5-way intersection is definitely a major problem. Others have not been able to power back up. It isn't just "annoying" to be stalled out on a highway, without even the ability to move the gear selector!

From the descriptions posted over the ~1 year the car's been out, it appears Stop Safely Now doesn't represent one specific malfunction. It's a message and power shutdown sequence triggered by any of several malfunctions involving power flow from/to the Li batteries. Some of us have had loose connections to the high voltage monitoring system, some have had faulty power control modules, some have had faulty battery control modules.

I'm glad to see how many of you haven't had the pleasure of a Stop Safety Now occurrence, and hope those of us who have had the pleasure had our cars correctly diagnosed!

Back