Radio Won't Shut Off

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluke

This morning when I got to work, I powered down the car as usual and noticed that the radio did not turn off when the door was opened. I cycled the power several times with the same result. Needing to get to work, my first thought was to just turn off all other accessories and head out. Turns out the volume control also does not work. I moved the car to a plug-in spot, turned it off and it is now charging with the radio on.

Suggestions?

After the car was done charging, I moved it and the radio still would not shut off. I pulled the #79 fuse in the box under the glove compartment to get it to shut off. If anyone else has need to get into this fuse box, it is not located behind the right side plastic kick panel as you might assume from the description in the owner's manual. There are two black plastic knobs holding a black molded panel directly under the glove box that have to be removed. The fuse box is directly under and behind the glove box.

I'll try reinstalling the fuse later to see if the problem goes away.

Same fuse box as in the ICE Focus (probably the same fuse to reset the radio as well).

I've had that issue with the older MyFordTouch software before on my ICE Focus.

I've had this happen a few times, but I stuck around and the radio shut off after a few mintutes. Did you follow up with Ford at all to see what the issue might be? This could certainly drain the reg. battery if on for a while

I have not followed up with Ford. The issue corrected itself when I reinstalled the radio fuse. If it happens again I'll contact Ford. I'm still hoping that a SYNC update is just around the corner so I can take up all of the software and other issues I've had with the car at one time with them.

I had that happen once. Ever see that movie "Christine?" Like that.

I went into the house and came out 15 minutes later. Still playing.
Popped the hood looking for a fuse to pull and it shut off right before I started yanking fuses.

This happened to me once. I was on the phone, shut the car off by pressing the start button, then hung up the phone a couple of minutes later. Then the radio came back on (as expected). Tried to shut off the radio using the hard button, didn't work. Tried again after a few seconds, still didn't work. Tried using the touch screen, was unresponsive. Opened the door, that didn't help. So I shut the door, waited a few seconds, pressed the start button to start the car, and the screen blanked for a second or so, and MFT went through its "boot sequence". All was fine after that - it booted up with the radio off.

Been trying to repeat the problem for a week or so, no luck.

So JimB - did you name your FFE "Christine"? I was a bit of a wuss when I was a kid when it came to horror flicks, funny how reading your post sent a chill down my spine, even after all these years.... thanks for that... :shock:

I haven't had a the radio get stuck playing, but I have had the MFT system stop responding such that I could no longer interact with it (to navigate anywhere on the touch screen, or even turn the radio on via the hard controls). In my case, this happened while MFT was displaying a map. Strangely, the map kept animating as I drove along (so the system was "working"), but touching it did nothing. Eventually, the system rebooted... while I was driving! It was fine after that.

I have also had several cases where turning off the radio via the hard button would simply come back on a second later. And, in general, I've noticed numerous occurrences of hard input being ignored, such that I have to press the "next track" or "volume up" buttons, for examples, a second time before the system will respond.

Fluke said:
After the car was done charging, I moved it and the radio still would not shut off. I pulled the #79 fuse in the box under the glove compartment to get it to shut off. If anyone else has need to get into this fuse box, it is not located behind the right side plastic kick panel as you might assume from the description in the owner's manual. There are two black plastic knobs holding a black molded panel directly under the glove box that have to be removed. The fuse box is directly under and behind the glove box.

Wow. No sooner had I read this post, then I headed out on a short trip and this exact thing happened to me. What a bizarre coincidence!?! I pulled the #79 fuse just like you did to kill the radio.

Has this been happening to folks all along? I sure hope this gets fixed soon, because my wife isn't going to go through this contortion to do this. She'll just leave the radio going and hope the 12v battery doesn't die...

WP

I had not heard of this issue before I reported it happening on mine. For clarification, I did multiple shutdown/startup cycles to try and get the radio to shutoff. It did continue playing through the entire charging cycle and also continued through another short drive to a different parking spot where I did a couple more power cycles. The only thing that would shut mine off was pulling the fuse.

Fluke said:
For clarification, I did multiple shutdown/startup cycles to try and get the radio to shutoff.

The only thing that would shut mine off was pulling the fuse.

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion albeit with less comprehensive effort (i.e. possibly prematurely). I turned the car on/off 3 times. Open closed driver/passenger doors. Tried just "accessory mode" (vs regular starting).

But still nothing on the radio responded to input; not volume, channel change or power. The center console infotainment screen would let me choose a different preset frequency (I was listening to the radio) and it indicated the channel changed, but the radio didn't actually change.

Oddly enough, after pulling the fuse, replacing it and starting the car, the radio immediately came back on, but the infotainment system (through the right steering wheel control pad) indicated the radio was turned off. I had to cycle through a power on/off for it to get sync'd back up with the actual state of the radio and functioning properly again.

Obviously there's a bug somewhere in the radio / MyFordTouch interface that's causing this hung state.

WP

I have the opposite problem, my wont turn on. Reset did nothing, its going in for service today. 2 months in and already radio dead. Great Ford quality..

System reset, etc didn't help me with this problem. Dealer wanted me to bring it in, in 5 days. I argued that wasn't acceptable with a loud radio playing, and said it looked very much like a glitch that a computer reboot would fix. They said I could disconnect the negative battery terminal, which would at least stop the radio, and also reboot when reconnected. That fixed the problem.

Back