PG&E customers on TOU plans - tomorrow is 5/1

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTOGreg

FYI...Summer tier pricing goes into effect at midnight. You're gonna be twice as much per KwH if you consume at peak periods, more if your baseline is higher.

Interesting... SoCalEdison decrees that summer starts on June 1. Last I checked we get hotter than poop before y'all do up north, one would think SCE would start summer before PGE. Go figure. Not that I'm complaining...

What I am inclined to complain about is the SCE summer pricing... currently published Tier 1 peak rate is about 3x the super-off-peak (12am-6am) rate, and the Tier 2 is over 5x ($0.09 vs $0.47)! I suspect the PGE rates would result in lower bills for someone with my home + EV electricity needs, which end up well over Tier 1 cutoff. Worst of it is that the Tier 2 off-peak rate (6pm-12am, 6am-10am, weekends/holidays) is $0.28/kWh, 3x over Tier 1. I haven't done the calculations, but now I might have to seriously consider buying an L2 EVSE to keep overnight charging within the super-off-peak hours - currently I need about 12 hours on the OEM charge cord to get a full charge after coming home from work.

Back