Ever seen a "Low Performance Mode" yellow light?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitgallman

"OUTOFGAS", my '12 EV Focus with 10,908 miles tossed me a new one this past Saturday.
I had trouble with the Electric Focus Saturday. I was wondering if any of you had seen it or could help explain it?

Saturday I made the trip to Dad’s house and back (76 miles one way, had 14 bonus miles left so I had about a 90 mile range.) It took longer to charge than it had in the past, got there about 10 AM and it finished charging about 1:45 or so). I ran it home and plugged in about 4:45 PM (14 miles left).
About 6:15PM My friend and I got in it to go for dinner. It showed 56 miles range, not fully charged but plenty engough for the trip. But nothing I could do would ‘start’ it (no green light on dash showing it was ready to roll). No, it wasn’t still plugged in. We left it and took her car (a Prius :roll: ). When we came back, I got in it and got the green light but also a message saying ‘Limited Performance due to battery temperature’ or something like that.
Normally when it’s been plugged in after a full range run to Dad’s, it reaches full charge in about 1-1/2 hours, maybe 1-2/3 hrs. It took twice as long this time. ALSO I expected the radiator fan to come on while the car charged, not this time.
What is supposed to be happening with battery charging, battery cooling, water pump and radiator fan systems during a full range recharge on a mildly warm (80F) day? What causes the ‘limited performance’ warning to come up?
OUTOFGAS worked OK Sunday.

Thanks for your help with this.

I was wondering if it could be cause by a hot battery that could be caused by the system not being properly cooled? Such as a cooling fan or coolant pump not running while charging.

Back