triangles

Re: Keep the FFE or move on?

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:07 pm

Fat Focus wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:53 am
If for one can't wait to move on. Not because the Focus isn't good, it's just fine for basic transportation. I just want something bigger and faster. I like the Mach E, but probably would rather have an electric F150. I still owe $14k on my Focus, so probably a year and a half out from buying something new.
The Mach E is what ford should have brought out several years ago. it's a nice car but at similar price points a Tesla model 3 is pretty much a no brainer. Also Ford has some serious work to do if they are going to beat Tesla's Cybertruck with an electric F150. I think it would be hard for ford to lose to the Cybertruck from an aesthetics perspective but I tend to be a function over form kind of guy.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

Fat Focus

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:38 pm

My aversion to buying a Tesla is mostly the service network and spare parts availability scare the hell out of me. No thanks. I'll go with the established supply chain. Plus, let's be real. I'm a Ford guy and brand loyal.
2018 Focus Electric
2013 GT350 Supercharged Widebody Convertible
1999 F250 7.3 Crew Cab 6-Speed 4x4
1964 Falcon Convertible 289 4-Speed

triangles

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:17 am

Fat Focus,
Unless you are in someplace like ND your service concerns are unfounded. 7 months into my Model 3 ownership the mobile data modem failed in my Tesla. Unlike Ford and the hassle with dealership service, I used the Tesla app to request service and after a couple emails, mobile service came out to my home and replaced the modem in my driveway. The closest service center was 2+ hours away in Cleveland. A few months after this Tesla opened a service center in Toledo a few miles from my house and the mobile service is still available as an option.

I love Ford and my FFE. Sadly Ford currently offers no vehicles that appeal to me. I look forward to many more years of service out of my FFE as a secondary vehicle to my Tesla.

Also, simply due to the lack of non-tesla charging locations in the midwest kind of made a Tesla a no-brainer for me looking for my next EV as having long distance capabilities. In less than a 20 min bathroom/snack stop I can add 150 or more miles of range to my Tesla using their supercharger network. The MachE looks to be a great vehicle but is not practical for long distance travel here in the midwest due to lack of charging infrastructure. By "lack of charging infrastructure" I mean that "high speed" places to charge are few and far between, inconveniently located, and cost the equivalent of paying $16 / gallon of gasoline compared to the Tesla supercharger network that is usually in the ball park of 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of gasoline. Maybe in 10 years once the charging network has been built up things will be different but I was not willing to wait if there was already a viable alternative available.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

FocusOnElectrons

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:28 am

I am leaning towards a Mach E mainly because there are 2 Ford dealerships within 10 miles of my home. I like having a readily accessible parts counter and service manager very close to home.
On the other hand I will never understand why Ford and GM are not requiring all their dealerships to provide level 2 and DC fast chargers available to ford ev owners. This would rival Tesla. I admit that Tesla has a lock on the charging station network. That leans me toward Tesla but I really like the Mach E. Having owned many Mustangs including a 1967 Shelby GT 500 my blue oval blood has a lot of influence on my brain. Besides that the Mach E GT is as quick a the new Shelby GT 500. Ford may have gotten it right this time!

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”