16A 3.84kW Portable Charging Station D25-16A For Sale $295

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegasbrad

I am selling a new 16amp portable EVSE with a 22.5 foot J1772 cable (25.5 ft. length end to end). This unit operates on Level 1 120VAC or Level 240VAC and switches automatically. Using optional adapters you can plug this into a standard house outlet, for 120v use, a 240v dryer outlet ect. This is a 16A continuous EVSE. This is intended to be used with a 20A breaker or larger. It is build to plug into a NEMA 6-20 (240v 20amp) outlet.

This EVSE is fixed at 16amps and has 4 status lights; Power, Connected, Charging, Fault. It is slim and smaller than my stock Nissan LEAF EVSE.
I offer a 2 Year Parts and Labor Warranty on all my EVSE’s

The price is $295.00 plus $18 for shipping in the continental USA.

It will charge any J1772 compliant car at up to 16A from 120v or 240v providing
1.92kW at 120v
3.84kW at 240v

If you would like the plug changed I have several on hand. In the case of a 10-30 or 14-30 plug it would allow you to plug into a common 30A Dryer outlet. I also build custom adapters.
Plug options:
6-20 (240v 20amp) – included as default
10-30 (240v 30amp) 3-prong Dryer plug used before 1996 – $17.00
14-30 (240v 30amp) 4-prong Dryer plug used in 1996+ – $17.00
14-50 (240v 50amp) 4-prong Range and RV plug – $17.00
6-30 (240v 30amp) 3-prong plug – $17.00
6-50 (240v 50amp) 3-prong welder plug – $17.00
5-20 (120v 20amp) – $10.00

If you would like to see it in action on your EV we can arrange that thru private message at my home, Local pickup in Las Vegas near Smith's grocery on East Flamingo. Payment is by PayPal if shipped or cash for local pickup.

Here is a link to me giving a demo of the EVSE:
https://youtu.be/7FY_56LxlWg

I get a lot of inquires about custom builds. YES I definitely take orders for anything you would like to see in your custom built EVSE. I worked hard on a nice PDF featuring some of the custom EVSE's I build and accessories. Check it out here for current pricing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc6ei1dkkqwbiwz/BSAelectronics EVSE flyer.pdf?dl=0

Optional Adapter #56 30A 14-xx Universal plug (fits 14-30, 50 & 60 outlets) to 6-20 outlet (240v 20amp) 6inch stubby $56.40

I offer many more adapters, see them here:
https://bsa-electronics.myshopify.com/collections/adapters

Tags:
EVSE
Level 2
OpenEVSE
charging station
220v charging
240v charging
Level 2 fast charger
220 volt charger
240 volt charger

That looks like a really nice unit. It would make a nice upgrade/replacement for the convenience cord supplied by Ford. The Ford cord, however is rated at 12@120V, when plugged into a dedicated 15A 120V circuit. Would your EVSE draw a full 16A when charging? I would be concerned that my 15A breaker would trip.

Browsing your site, you have so many EVSE related items.
https://bsa-electronics.myshopify.com

WattsUp said:
Pearl said:
Would your EVSE draw a full 16A when charging? I would be concerned that my 15A breaker would trip.
He says right in the first paragraph...

vegasbrad said:
This is intended to be used with a 20A breaker or larger.

Yeah, saw that. Just wondering if the car will ever draw more than the the 1440 watts from a level 1 cord.

Hey Guys! Thanks for your interest. An EVSE is basically a smart extension cord that lets the car know the maximum current that may be drawn safly. This EVSE is fixed at 16amps. The EVSE broadcast that level to the car via something called the "pilot signal" which is actually a 1khz square wave. The EV per J1772 standards will not draw more than said level. The EV doesn't care about anything over what it can use. For example on my 2013 Nissan LEAF it can draw 6.6kW (27.5amps @240v ac) If I set my 50A EVSE to 40A vs. 30A its of no consequence. If I set it to 24A it would cause the car to limit itself to 24A and be a little slower charging. In the case of using this compact 16amp EVSE my LEAF draws no more than 16amps as can been seen in my demo video. 16amps at 240v AC is 3840 watts.

I don't know of many NEMA 6-20 receptacles in homes around here, they are mainly NEMA 5-15. I'd be wiling to adapt the 6-20 so it can plug into a 5-15, because I don't think the car will draw more than 12A @120V, I just can't confirm that. So my question is, will the FFE or other ENERGI vehicles request more than 12A when plugged into 120V.

Pearl, Now I under stand your question. The 3.3kW on-board charger draws from the hot leg (120v circuit) at a maximum of 13.75amps, this is limited by the on-board charger hardware. If the EV is connected to a 240v circuit the on-board charger draws from each hot leg at a maximum of 13.75amps. So your total max draw it watts on a
120v circuit is 1.65kW or 1650watts
240v circuit is 3.3kW or 3300watts

The OEM EVSE's are programmed at 12amps (some brands less) to match the 5-15 plug their equipped with. With a 5-15P to 6-20R adapter you may plug my EVSE into a 120v outlet, although the EVSE will advertise 16amps is available to the EV, the 3.3kW on-board charger won't be able to draw more than 13.75amps.

Pearl said:
Just wondering if the car will ever draw more than the the 1440 watts from a level 1 cord.
I don't know, and I don't think vegasbrad will know for sure, unless he is an FFE expert.

(I would bet that sefs knows, so you might PM him.)

Lacking other info, I would assume that the FFE will draw whatever is advertised to it, so you will probably overload your 15A circuit if you try to use this EVSE on it.

regardless, at 120V the maximum draw is certainly less than 6.6K or 3.3K. The car sets the amperage. I'd assume that on 240V it draws 6.6Kw, even though my EVSE can deliver 7.2Kw. At 120V I assume that since Ford supplied a 12A EVSE, the car will not draw more than 1440W.

My apologizes, I didn't realize all the Focus's came with a 6.6kw on-board charger. I know a 2013 LEAF with the optional 6.6kw on-board charger can draw 27.5amps at 120v, I'm also told that high amperage charging like this at 120v is rare. The only way to know if the FFE is hardware capable or programed to allow high amp charging at 120v is to check weather Ford published spec's in the manual or to simple try it with a larger EVSE. I would be happy to do a try before you buy at my home here in Vegas for anyone.

Pearl, It sounds like one of my full function EVSE's would be a better fit for you as you can adjust the max amps right in the menu:
https://bsa-electronics.myshopify.com/products/50a-12kw-openevse-portable-outdoor-with-lcd-selectable-length-bsa-ultra-flexible-j1772-cable-evse74-in-pdf

The FFE will not draw more than 12A on 120V so you could safely use this EVSE with an adapter for standard 15A 120V outlet. At least this is the case with my '14 FFE. To my knowledge all years have the exact same charger in them. Ford idiot proofed this so no one would burn their house down or more likely so no idiot would sue them if they burned their house down. I know this because I had a 26A 120V generator and I tried using an EVSE with a manually adjustable current pilot signal. No matter what it would only charge at 12A or less on 120VAC. My thought was to use the generator as an emergency charger in case I run out of juice away from a plug.

triangles said:
The FFE will not draw more than 12A on 120V so you could safely use this EVSE with an adapter for standard 15A 120V outlet. At least this is the case with my '14 FFE. To my knowledge all years have the exact same charger in them. Ford idiot proofed this so no one would burn their house down or more likely so no idiot would sue them if they burned their house down. I know this because I had a 26A 120V generator and I tried using an EVSE with a manually adjustable current pilot signal. No matter what it would only charge at 12A or less on 120VAC. My thought was to use the generator as an emergency charger in case I run out of juice away from a plug.

Thanks Triangles! It's great to have some feedback from the field!

Hi guys, I'm starting my 4th of July sale early, The sale price is $50.00 off, now only $295.00 Anyone interested can PM me or check it out here: https://bsa-electronics.myshopify.com/collections/charging-stations/products/16a-3-84kw-portable-charging-station-25-length-evse-d25-16a

use coupon code: $50OFFEVSED25-16A at the checkout

vegasbrad said:
Hey Guys! Thanks for your interest. An EVSE is basically a smart extension cord that lets the car know the maximum current that may be drawn safly. This EVSE is fixed at 16amps. The EVSE broadcast that level to the car via something called the "pilot signal" which is actually a 1khz square wave. The EV per J1772 standards will not draw more than said level. The EV doesn't care about anything over what it can use. For example on my 2013 Nissan LEAF it can draw 6.6kW (27.5amps @240v ac) If I set my 50A EVSE to 40A vs. 30A its of no consequence. If I set it to 24A it would cause the car to limit itself to 24A and be a little slower charging. In the case of using this compact 16amp EVSE my LEAF draws no more than 16amps as can been seen in my demo video. 16amps at 240v AC is 3840 watts.
The FFE says it has a 6.6 kW onboard charger, but it will draw 29 amps. I have used a public EVSE that is around 245-247 volts under load & I've been able to draw 29 amps @ 245+ volts (7.1 kW). At my apartment with three-phase power my FFE draws 29 amps at about 206 V (5.97 kW). Does the Leaf limit itself to only 27.5 amps? The measurements I reference are what the SOBDMC of the car reports as read by FORScan. Does the Leaf Spy app allow you to read charger input amps & volts?

hybridbear said:
vegasbrad said:
The FFE says it has a 6.6 kW onboard charger, but it will draw 29 amps. I have used a public EVSE that is around 245-247 volts under load & I've been able to draw 29 amps @ 245+ volts (7.1 kW). At my apartment with three-phase power my FFE draws 29 amps at about 206 V (5.97 kW). Does the Leaf limit itself to only 27.5 amps? The measurements I reference are what the SOBDMC of the car reports as read by FORScan. Does the Leaf Spy app allow you to read charger input amps & volts?

On a few rare occasions I've seen 28 to 28.5 amps @ 120v during high current testing with a adapter. I don't have a LEAF Spy yet, I installed a Volt/Amps/Watts/kWh meter above my 14-50 power box. I also have built dozens of EVSE's with various meters in them, extra info is always good to have.

vegasbrad said:
On a few rare occasions I've seen 28 to 28.5 amps @ 120v during high current testing with a adapter. I don't have a LEAF Spy yet, I installed a Volt/Amps/Watts/kWh meter above my 14-50 power box. I also have built dozens of EVSE's with various meters in them, extra info is always good to have.
Interesting. I agree that extra info is always valuable. Thanks for sharing your results & experience with all of us!

vegasbrad,

I think you have a typo near the top of this page:
https://bsa-electronics.myshopify.com/products/50a-12kw-openevse-portable-outdoor-with-lcd-selectable-length-bsa-ultra-flexible-j1772-cable-evse74-in-pdf

"50A 12kW OpenEVSE portable outdoor with LCD
OpenEVSE 30A in a beautiful case for portable use!
In the package, you will receive..."

I believe when you copied the content from the 30A page, you just missed that instance to change to 50A.

My FFE arrives in August, but I'm planning on having a portable L1/L2 in the car for the RV park and in-law's house (they'll wire whatever I ask for).
Can anyone help me with the decision between the 50A 12KW (32A), and 30A 7.2KW (24A) products vegasbrad makes?

Hi Jamez,

Good catch! your right that EVSE is based off a 30A version and when I did the edit's I missed that. As a thanks if you buy an EVSE I will give you a discount.

I would be happy to answer any questions for you. Not to take anything away from this forum, many of my customers are active on the GM Volt forum, there are various discussions under multiple threads there.

Back