Illinois residential solar PV?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmen

Just wondering if any IL/bordering state residents here have installed a home solar PV system? We are thinking about it, but since grid electric is relatively cheap while the sun isn't quite as generous here, the long payback time makes it less attractive than, say, in CA or HI. IL has had a pretty nice 25% rebate, but it sounds like 2014 was it's last year. Our new governor is not the kind of guy who's pro state spending so I doubt it will be renewed.
Anyway, I'd like to hear anyone's experience, particularly any recommendations for an installer. Thanks!

I looked into it several years ago. The Chicago area has too few sunshine hours per year to make it cost effective. Unless the efficiency has gone way up, I would think long and hard about it.

Au Contraire on there not being enough sun in Chicago, even in the winter. The panels are way more efficient. They run with microinverters now, so if an area is in shade, the other panels still work, and you get useable electricity (used to be a threshold and sort of all or nothing). Yes December was the dimmest month in recorded history - people mentioned they didn't get much this past December. That's the only month that stood out for them.

I've read about a good handful that installed them in the Tesla forum. All are happy with the decision.

When I had the electrical work done for service in my garage, the guy from Kapital electric gave me a pretty convincing sell. They are easy to install, they aren't as expensive, they protect your roof (so that leaky roof deal kind of goes away), the panels snap off and on - so if you have to replace your roof it isn't a horrible job, and they don't take up nearly the amount of space you would think.

That was the sales pitch - the Tesla forums confirmed that he was right.

It is well worth looking into further. I would have installed them if we hadn't already bitten off so much (new car, electrical service upgrade, and two kids in college). The other reason in hindsight - a number of companies have gone out of business.

By the way - not sure payback is the way to look at installing them. I agree, you don't want to spend $30,000 to save $100 a year - that's not smart. On the other hand, we didn't buy the FFE because it saved us money. There was a lot more to the purchase. Solar panels fall in the same category for me - they're the smart, right thing to do.

I think you have to be a Tesla owner to read the Chicago discussion on their forums. Or you at least you have to register - I can't see Chicago unless I'm logged in.

http://my.teslamotors.com/forums

Thanks guys. I agree Eva, the residential solar today is apples and oranges to what it was even 2 years ago. Panels cost less and generate more, and microinverters are similarly less expensive and proven reliable. Using microinverters and 300W panels, my roof can hold a 6kW array easy, which should generate ~7.5MWh/year accounting for roof slope, latitude and cloudiness. Problem is, that would only save me about $600 a year on my electric bill. Currently it would make me another $350 a year in solar renewable credits, but I'm not convinced that'll be available forever. At best, with state rebate, the system would cost $7000 net, taking 7 or 8 years to pay off- I'd jump at that. At worst, closer to $16000 net, and say renewable credit market doesn't pan out, it wouldn't pay off in its expected lifespan. Either way, I'd have to shell out $30k up font or take a loan, while waiting for rebates and tax returns.

I also agree it's not a purely financial decision just like buying an EV. But if you just want to cut your share of greenhouse gasses/pollutants, there are much easier ways like using Chicago's Integrys electric supplier that only sources from non-coal power plants. For solar/EV/whatever, I can't ignore the upfront cost, and have to at least consider the chance to break even. With my FFE, upfront wasn't an issue with 0% financing; and even though I purchased with the early adopter surcharge, I'm still calculating break even vs buying a similarly equipped sedan/hatchback in ~5 years. Planning to keep it at least 10, so for me that's cool. A Model S would not have been as easy to justify for me at that time.

My biggest hesitation is deciding on a reputable dealer/installer. Like you said, will they be around in a few years? Are they on the state/city website because they do good work, or because they know a Cullerton? I'll try to check out the Tesla forum.

I bow down gracefully to both of you and your oversized brains. Now please excuse me as I return to my rocking chair and watch Bob Hope Movies on my black and white television.

Aw Steve, I'll be happy to sit in a rocking chair next to you. Bob Hope - nah, won't watch him - Hogan's Heroes - sure.

Seriously Steve - this area has changed a lot in the last two years. Nobody talked about solar panels in Chicago. That's different now.

It's an expensive risk to take. A lot to consider.

Back