Random Thoughts...

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be interesting to hear - not that I ever would, being without a cb radio - but I can't imagine it being a frequent enough occurrence for the lingo to be created. Too, I know other vehicles also tend to draft off the big rigs, but since there's no downside to the rig, I'm pretty sure they don't care anyway...

Abelgoddard said:
since there's no downside to the rig, I'm pretty sure they don't care anyway...
Not true. I wouldn't think that big rig drivers appreciate tailgaters any more than other drivers. It impedes their ability to drive as safely as possible, knowing that another (potentially careless) vehicle is following them closely behind. It splits their attention from what is happening in front them, and that's not good for anybody. I know tailgaters have this effect on me, and this is why I despise them, and do everything I can to get rid of them (usually just move over one lane and allow the douchemobile to roar by).

Pretty sure you don't have to be real static cling. Trucks break enough wind that safe following distance is still a benefit.

(did you see what I did there - break wind - smelly trucks...)

I do like static cling though - that's a great term. Were you really bored on the most recent trip?

WattsUp does have a point - safe following distance. There's no reason to annoy truckers more than you have to annoy them.

From my brother the truck driver: "Not too many. And if they are really drafting right they would have to bee right up my rear and I wouldn't see them. Either way I really don't care. If they hit me they wouldn't do any damage. These trailers are built to slam into docks over and over without taking damage."

Abelgoddard said:
Either way I really don't care. If they hit me they wouldn't do any damage.
Nice attitude.

Even if they are being idiot tailgaters, you'd think one would care more about the people, not the trailer. :roll:

I'd hope any trucker wouldn't want anybody to hit their trailer, especially when the car stands little chance against the mass of the truck.

He followed up by pointing out that it'd be their fault. His 'don't care' was about the drafting, not so much the hitting, but that applies as well. When someone is tailgating me, I don't like it because it's dangerous for me, and their headlights are likely super annoying. But if there were no danger to me or my vehicle (more so if it's not even my personal vehicle), I really don't care what the people behind me are doing. Driving defensively can only go so far, and you really can't do much about the people behind you in any case.

Abelgoddard said:
Driving defensively can only go so far, and you really can't do much about the people behind you in any case.
Sure you can. On a multi-lane road, you can move over and let them pass. On a single-lane road, you can always temporarily pull over.

I'm glad your brother clarified his comments.

Tailgating is one thing - yeah you can try to let them past and they'll probably go - but someone willfully drafting? Unless you're willing to drastically reduce your speed just to get them off you, they're gonna stay there. I'm only willing to do so much. Unless I feel so threatened by the situation that it's too dangerous to be in, they can stay back there and reap the insurance ass-reaming when they cause an accident.

Back