The Focus Electric Vs. Fusion Hybrid Vs. The Escape Hybrid

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricEV

Out of all 3 of Ford's environmental vehicles which one is the most practical right now? I absolutely love this ford focus electric forum and was wondering if there was anything similar for the Ford Fusion Hybrid and the Ford Escape Hybrid so I could try to compare all 3 cars side by side. The focus electric seems too exclusive and expensive right now so I may have to opt for a Ford hybrid until the focus ev becomes more affordable and available. I really do want an electric car but I am a die hard Ford guy so I may just have to wait.

ElectricEV said:
Out of all 3 of Ford's environmental vehicles which one is the most practical right now? I absolutely love this ford focus electric forum and was wondering if there was anything similar for the Ford Fusion Hybrid and the Ford Escape Hybrid so I could try to compare all 3 cars side by side. The focus electric seems too exclusive and expensive right now so I may have to opt for a Ford hybrid until the focus ev becomes more affordable and available. I really do want an electric car but I am a die hard Ford guy so I may just have to wait.

It depends on your own meaning of what's practical; point of clarification also, the last hybrid version of the Escape will be the much older design for 2012 but the redesigned 2013 Escape will only have gas powered engines; more fuel efficient but just gas. Ford is introducing the C-Max to carry the hybrid/plug-in banner for their 'utility' vehicle. Quick link to the 2013 Escape info below:

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/escape/2013/?sub=suv

For me, as we own multiple cars (4 for 3 drivers) 'practical' is tied to how we use our cars; we have 2 (3 for summer) commuter type small to mid size cars and then one much larger utility/trip car that gets used during winter months as well as for long trips and picking up 'big' stuff. I've previously owned two FoMoCo vehicles (first new car, a '74 Mercury Comet GT and a '93 Ford Taurus SHO) and would go back if they offered something unique or compelling with decent reliability, etc. When it came to an EV, at least here in Chicago, we were limited to a Chevy Volt or Nissan LEAF as even though Chicago was listed as a 'target' city for the FFE it's been delayed -- we've owned our LEAF for 4 months now and are quite happy as well as it was thousands less than the FFE.

I'm still participating in this forum because I'm quite interested in the Ford C-Max as it may become available in enough time for it to replace our 'utility' vehicle (an '09 VW Routan) which is based on the Focus and will come in both a hybrid and plug-in hybrid version hopefully by late '12 or early '13. The C-Max offers more room than the FFE but not quite as much (I'm guessing) as the new Escape so if you're looking for something with a bit more utility than a compact or mid-size sedan/hatchback that could be something to wait for.

The two new C-Max' look like:

2013-ford-c-max-hybrid_100373409_l.jpg

We are looking at a two plug-in garage. A small Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) and a Extended Range Electric Vehicle (EREV) or plug-in Hybrid. BEV does everything I need with 75 mile range and 6.6kW on board charger. My wife needs 20 mile battery range for commute/weekdays, but drives 100+ miles once a month to dog agility trials. C-Max Energi looks like it would fill the bill. C-Max is more a Focus wagon than a minivan. Should be useful size for us, but folded seat load floor configuration will matter.

C-Max Specs

Back