Honda Clarity Electric

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHTech

Greetings,

As my lease for the 2016 is about up, I started looking for a replacement. My drive to work is pretty short (my total miles for 33 months is 16,600) so I did not need the range. Was paying $225 a month (with $0 down) and was looking to keep the monthly low. I was interested in the Kia Niro (saw it at the L.A. Auto Show), but I honestly did not expect it to be available by Apr. Tesla 3 would be okay, but did not make any sense due to my short commute. Came across the Honda Clarity, and the reviews and specs were pretty interesting. So, did a test drive and picked up one a couple of weeks ago. It is only available for lease in CA and OR, and not an option to buy at the end. It is pretty decked out. It was $1,300 plus tax and other fees down (came to $2,400) plus $199 plus tax ($219). The $2,500 rebate will cover the initial expense. Yearly mileage allocation is 20,000 miles. :) Range is 89 miles.

I really like the car. The FFE was sporty. This is very comfortable, and fits 5 people very well. My boys are getting close to 6', so the FFE was not going to cut it. Honda Sense is included. For my short trips, I think that the Clarity seems to be handling the miles much better. I should be charging the car about twice a week (compared to the three times with the FFE).

Regards,

GHTech

You had me confused. I thought the Clarity was only a PHEV. I didn't know it was available as a BEV. The specs look pretty weak for 2019 but if you don't need the range I guess it works. It's also not as fugly as gen 1 Leaf. Sounds like Honda wants to do an EV1 with the Clarity BEV. No purchase option, only lease. I've never done a lease but that seems like an awful lot to put down for a leased car.

triangles said:
You had me confused. I thought the Clarity was only a PHEV. I didn't know it was available as a BEV. The specs look pretty weak for 2019 but if you don't need the range I guess it works. It's also not as fugly as gen 1 Leaf. Sounds like Honda wants to do an EV1 with the Clarity BEV. No purchase option, only lease. I've never done a lease but that seems like an awful lot to put down for a leased car.

Hi triangles!

The Clarity is available in 3 versions. PHEV, BEV and Fuel-Cell. The last 2 are only available as a lease. The build quality is really good, compared to the complains that I hear about other models that Honda builds. Honda seems to be mainly collecting data from the 2 models (BEV and Fuel-Cell) as the paperwork talks about some data going back to Honda. My VIN ends in 648, so they are not building much at the moment. The lease cost is pretty similar to what one would pay for the FFE (I paid less than the "break-even").

Regards,

GHTech

Back