Page 1 of 1

Nissan Leaf 2018 - New Model

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:14 pm
by NightHawk
Info is now out on the new Nissan Leaf for 2018:

Image
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/l ... story.html
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/111 ... es-in-2019

The restyled Nissan Leaf for 2018 has a bigger motor and a 40KWh battery for ~150mile range with a starting price of $30,875.
They plan for 2019 an option for an even bigger battery of 60KWH for >200mile range, to compete with the Chevy Bolt.

Re: Nissan Leaf 2018 - New Model

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:25 pm
by Smoking_Rubber
NightHawk wrote:Info is now out on the new Nissan Leaf for 2018:

Image
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/l ... story.html
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/111 ... es-in-2019

The restyled Nissan Leaf for 2018 has a bigger motor and a 40KWh battery for ~150mile range with a starting price of $30,875.
They plan for 2019 an option for an even bigger battery of 60KWH for >200mile range, to compete with the Chevy Bolt.
That's not a bad looking car.

"It also features a revolutionary “one-pedal” drive system: Push the pedal down and the car accelerates; release the pedal and the car begins to apply regenerative brakes that return energy to the battery."

That worries me. It would drive completely different from a normal vehicle, I believe. If they had gotten to 200+ miles of range I'd consider it. The new 2018 Focus is supposed to be more efficient "on-par with efficiency gains seen in 2017", so that would put the range at about 160 miles with the same 35KWh battery. That's significant.

I'm not jumping off the Ford bandwagon just yet.

Re: Nissan Leaf 2018 - New Model

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:03 pm
by amped
I'm pretty sure that the one-pedal mode is user selectable and not mandatory.

“With the flip of a switch, the technology turns your accelerator into an e-Pedal, allowing drivers to accelerate, decelerate and stop using just the e-Pedal*. e-Pedal technology is the world’s first one-pedal operation that allows drivers to bring the car to a complete stop even on hills, stay in position, and resume driving instantly.”

Re: Nissan Leaf 2018 - New Model

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:46 pm
by jmueller065
Smoking_Rubber wrote:"It also features a revolutionary “one-pedal” drive system: Push the pedal down and the car accelerates; release the pedal and the car begins to apply regenerative brakes that return energy to the battery."
That worries me. It would drive completely different from a normal vehicle, I believe. If they had gotten to 200+ miles of range I'd consider it. The new 2018 Focus is supposed to be more efficient "on-par with efficiency gains seen in 2017", so that would put the range at about 160 miles with the same 35KWh battery. That's significant.
They are just catching up with the competition: All the Tesla's and the Bolt have a similar "one pedal" mode.

Re: Nissan Leaf 2018 - New Model

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:48 pm
by NightHawk
Smoking_Rubber wrote:If they had gotten to 200+ miles of range I'd consider it.
In one of the articles they mention Nissan plans to offer a 60KWh battery upgrade option in the future (2019) as well increasing the range to ~220miles or so, similar to the Chevy Bolt.

Re: Nissan Leaf 2018 - New Model

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:47 am
by spirilis
NightHawk wrote:
Smoking_Rubber wrote:If they had gotten to 200+ miles of range I'd consider it.
In one of the articles they mention Nissan plans to offer a 60KWh battery upgrade option in the future (2019) as well increasing the range to ~220miles or so, similar to the Chevy Bolt.
That's good. I think 40kWh is a comfortable level, I'd buy it for sure if the price was right. And having the "option" to buy 60kWh is good as well. Hopefully the batteries gained some thermal management or at least improved thermal tolerance...

Re: Nissan Leaf 2018 - New Model

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 pm
by EVA
Wow I missed the new front end on that car, figured it was similar to the squashed frog from before. They totally changed the car, made it more normal looking - more like a Nissan Sentra than something weird birthed from a Nissan Versa.

Brian Cooley at CNet talks about the new Leaf. A really good article - Nissan is going after a whole different segment than the people only concerned about the range war. They went to a price point - essentially $20,000 ($30,000 before tax credit and any state rebates - California $2500) - maybe a smart move.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/new- ... -strategy/

Re: Nissan Leaf 2018 - New Model

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:47 pm
by sonny917
Not bad as an option for a new car for casual use.