Chevy Bolt Drive

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campfamily

One of the better (most complete and unbiased) reviews I've read on the Bolt.

http://jalopnik.com/the-2017-chevrolet-bolt-may-be-the-start-of-the-everyda-1791586154

Keith

campfamily said:

http://jalopnik.com/the-2017-chevrolet-bolt-may-be-the-start-of-the-everyda-1791586154

Keith

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has test driven it to compare it to a FFE.

damania said:
campfamily said:

Keith

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has test driven it to compare it to a FFE.

I have driven one, albeit just around the block (dealer wouldn't let me go much further). It's accelerates faster than the Focus, and drives and handles competently. But, interior quality is typical GM rental car feel (the one I drove was a base model). And, I'm not sold on the looks.

It is a very competent car. That's about all I can say about it.

I'm trying to convince the dealer to let me have one for a long weekend, similar to the extended test drives that BMW was offering on their i3s when they first came out (that is what sold me on getting an electric car as my daily commuter). So far, no dice.

Keith

looks like we'll have the Model E and some unnamed small SUV from Ford in a couple years. The Bolt is not for me but I'm glad GM brought them to market. Hopefully they don't just treat it like a compliance car. 5 years from now there will be many good and affordable EV choices.

You guys know I loved my FFE, but on March 1, when my next lease expires, I'm definitely getting a Bolt. Apart for the unaffordable-for-me model S, I can't imagine anything else equally capable being available in the next two years.

The FFE came standard fully optioned. The premier version of the Bolt falls a little short, but it's plenty nice by my standards.

michael said:
You guys know I loved my FFE, but on March 1, when my next lease expires, I'm definitely getting a Bolt. Apart for the unaffordable-for-me model S, I can't imagine anything else equally capable being available in the next two years.

The FFE came standard fully optioned. The premier version of the Bolt falls a little short, but it's plenty nice by my standards.

The problem I have with the Bolt is that, comparing MSRP, it is $12,000 more than a comparably equipped FFE. Discounts on the FFE are huge, when I bought mine, I got nearly $7,000 off of MSRP. I doubt you'll get that off of a Bolt, at least not for a while. So, is the Bolt worth an additional $16 - 19,000? Not to me.

campfamily said:
The problem I have with the Bolt is that, comparing MSRP, it is $12,000 more than a comparably equipped FFE. Discounts on the FFE are huge, when I bought mine, I got nearly $7,000 off of MSRP. I doubt you'll get that off of a Bolt, at least not for a while. So, is the Bolt worth an additional $16 - 19,000? Not to me.
You are kind of comparing apples to oranges here (and I'm not talking about the range).

The Bolt is a brand new car and the FFE is a 5 year old design with minimal updates. Back in 2012 when the FFE was the latest kid on the block it had a price tag as high as the Bolt's.

jmueller065 said:
campfamily said:
You are kind of comparing apples to oranges here (and I'm not talking about the range).

The Bolt is a brand new car and the FFE is a 5 year old design with minimal updates. Back in 2012 when the FFE was the latest kid on the block it had a price tag as high as the Bolt's.

True. So if (when?????) the Bolt comes down a bit (not equal, since the Bolt does offer more capability than the FFE), my reasoning would definitely change. I'm thinking, though, that by then, there should be more vehicles like this to choose from.

I have driven both. Over 65k miles between two leased FFEs. One week with a Bolt owned by an out of state buyer. I'm torn.

Advantages Bolt:
60 kWh! Run the heater! Pedal to the metal! Who cares?!? No need to micromanage the measly 18 kWh usable capacity. (Yes I've measured it.) That a huuuuge advantage.
0 - 60 in just over 6 seconds. The FFE is peppy, but the Bolt just bolts! All the power you need whenever you need it.
Roomy. Plenty of cargo space for bikes and whatever you want to stuff in there. I've taken my FFE camping with my two sons, but it wasn't easy. With the Bolt, Mom (and her stuff) could come too.
Better GOM. GM got the range display right. Shows best case, worst case, and current range all in one display. Makes it super easy to know if you can run the heat or if you should go econ.

Advantages FFE:
* Much nicer interior. Serene and comfortable. If you spend an hour a day in the car like I do, this looms large. The Bolt seats are not very comfortable. Large expanses of the same plastic everywhere.
* Much better infotainment system. Instant access to any song, artist, album on the USB drive using the voice command. Use this feature almost daily. With the Bolt, you're stuck scrolling through a long menu of selections. Not something you'll be doing while driving.
* Bolt has no NAV without paying monthly for OnStar. Does support Android Auto and Apple Car Play but you MUST plug your phone in to the car every time. That's a pain. FFE nav isn't great, but it's usable and doesn't chew up your data if you're on a cheap plan like I am.
* MFM: Use it to locate the car. Lock and unlock the doors. Remote start when beyond Key fob range. Really going to miss that.

My lease is up mid 2018. Would love a 200+ mile FFE. I could even live with the battery hump. May go with the Bolt or may get a third FFE. Tough call.

I'm to the wire and need to get something by the end of the month. This weekend I plan to rent a Bolt for a few hours, see how it compares with my old FFE and with my Volt, which is the alternative I'm considering.

I'm curious what the estimated delivery time for a Bolt is. When I looked in March, they were quoting me up to 12 months.

That's when I decided maybe I didn't need the full 383 km range, which led me to the Ford dealer. :D

What I really want is something more like the FFE with the range of the Bolt. I like the Bolt—and intend to rent one for a road trip this summer—but I'm not a big fan of the higher seating position. And the $$$$.

All depends where you live / what dealer you buy from. Here in SF Bay area in CA, you can drive out with one right on the spot. Five of my coworkers already got theirs. I'm kind of jealous.

Don't know about Canada - I read an announcement that Chevy is staggering the release across the US. California is first of course. I think the Midwest was mid to late summer.

For what it's worth....I tried to rent a Bolt on GM's Maven car sharing service (like zipcar).

They are the worst and most incompetent. Worst customer service I've encountered from anyone is years. I rather deal with the DMV. Avoid them at all costs.

I was unable to rent the Bolt, ended up going to a dealer for the worthless test drive they let you take.

ghiebert said:
I'm curious what the estimated delivery time for a Bolt is. When I looked in March, they were quoting me up to 12 months.

That's when I decided maybe I didn't need the full 383 km range, which led me to the Ford dealer. :D

What I really want is something more like the FFE with the range of the Bolt. I like the Bolt—and intend to rent one for a road trip this summer—but I'm not a big fan of the higher seating position. And the $$$$.

You are talking to the wrong people. In Los Angeles, at least, dealers have literally hundreds in stock for immediate delivery.

Michael - Ghiebert isn't talking to the wrong people, under his name, Vancouver BC is home. Given the staggered roll out of the Bolt, 12 months might be correct for Vancouver.

If I asked in Chicago, I'd probably get a three or four month answer. You Californians get all the cool cars before everybody else (and sometimes you're the only ones that get that cool car).

A review from my perspective as a fellow Focus Electric owner and a current Tesla Model 3 reservation holder:

http://www.eastwestbrothersgarage.com/2017/10/test-drive-2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev.html

While on paper, the Bolt EV does not look like it has a lot going for it, experiencing it is a whole different ball game. If you have not had the chance to drive one, I highly encourage it, even if just to see what Ford needs to benchmark when it comes to market with a proper Focus Electric replacement.

I have gone from needing to plan every day's drive like a trans Atlantic flight (Focus) to not giving it a thought (Bolt). I loved my FFE, but the day of the FFE has passed.

michael said:
I have gone from needing to plan every day's drive like a trans Atlantic flight (Focus) to not giving it a thought (Bolt). I loved my FFE, but the day of the FFE has passed.

Have you gotten your Bolt yet? If so, need to update your sig!!

Would be very interested in your opinion of the car vs the FFE. If our great governor goes through with his plan to significantly increase the state incentives for buying an alternate fuel vehicle, I may be selling my FFE and in the market for a Bolt.

Keith

Back