Who was waiting for the Focus EV but is now buying a LEAF?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redEV

Especially in light of the most recent Ford Focus EV release notice for just some CA and NY areas and NOT launch cities ---

At this point, I was on the initial reservation list for a LEAF (4/20/2010) and Nissan opened up IL for orders early so have confirmed delivery (as of just a day or so ago, they confirmed it should be here during the month of November, plus or minus 15 days) -- I really thought the Focus EV would be here before end of year and beat the LEAF to the Chicago market, after all it was a launch city remember?

So I wonder among the early adopter crowd how many EV sales Ford will loose to the LEAF (and soon after the Mitsu' iMiev)???

With the uncertainty of the Focus EV price, range and most importantly availability (despite the fact that I still love the looks of it versus the LEAF) some of us may have little choice unless they are willing to wait well into 2012 -- any others?

At what point do you have to commit to buying the Nissan Leaf? If there's a pull out plan, then I think it makes sense to keep your name on the list up to the last minute. That gives you as much time as you can get to make a final decision.

If something changes with Ford by that point, then you can either go for the Ford Focus Electric if it makes sense, or stick with the Leaf.

I was never on any Nissan Leaf list as I missed all of that stuff, so I'm waiting for the first Electric Vehicle that's available to non-reservation list people.

marta said:
At what point do you have to commit to buying the Nissan Leaf? If there's a pull out plan, then I think it makes sense to keep your name on the list up to the last minute. That gives you as much time as you can get to make a final decision.

If something changes with Ford by that point, then you can either go for the Ford Focus Electric if it makes sense, or stick with the Leaf.

I was never on any Nissan Leaf list as I missed all of that stuff, so I'm waiting for the first Electric Vehicle that's available to non-reservation list people.

Anyone who has accepted the quote provided by the dealer can opt out right up to the time of delivery, same as any other car you place an order for (hence, the term 'orphans' that end up from a cancelled order on a dealer lot) -- Nissan only has my $99 pre-reservation fee (which is fully refundable). Over on the LEAF sister forum, someone refused the car due to some paint issues and people will cancel if their financial situation changes, etc. For me; in Chicago, Nissan will have a LEAF driving event at the end of August so at least I'll be able to do a brief low speed test drive (have only seen the car up on a platform at the Chicago Auto Show) and that should be enough for my own final decision. I've also looked at and driven the new Lexus CT200h as my first real experience with hybrid's and really enjoyed it -- however I'd love to go full EV so the Focus EV and LEAF were at the top of my list. The car that an EV or hybrid replaces is not on its last legs by any means but like anyone else, I'd like to 'upgrade' sooner than later; lastly, even the Nissan dealer's around Chicago will likely only get a single LEAF per month allocated so perhaps the Focus EV will be introduced when the LEAF is available in bigger numbers to those who did not pre-register for one. Like I said earlier, I'm surprised and pleased that Nissan decided to move IL up in their ramp up plans and simply wanted to know if this changes anyone else's plans --

Back