Ford Fusion Energi

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigi

I’d like to put in a good word or two about the Ford Fusion Energi. We bought a Ford Fusion Energi SE in November 2013 and a Ford Focus Electric in January 2014. I love the FFEnergi. The ride is incredibly quiet, even when the ICE is running due to active noise cancellation and good insulation. When the ICE comes on, it is barely noticeable. With the electronic continuously variable transmission, there is no gear shifting when accelerating giving the car an effortless feeling of gaining speed like in the FFElectric.

The FFEnergi is larger (19 inches longer) and slightly heavier (289 pounds) than the FFElectric. This produces a smoother ride. It is not a performance vehicle by any means, but it isn’t a “boat,” either. The FFElectric is more fun to drive, while the FFEnergi is more likely to be the car in which I would invite older friends or family to ride.

The FFEnergi has some nice options that I wish were available on the FFElectric, such as moonroof, homelink, seat position memory, auto-dimming mirrors, and fully electric 10-way driver and passenger seats. The FFEnergi Titanium has a very nice Sony audio system that has wider audio frequency range than the one in the FFElectric, while the FFElectric’s system is noticeably better than the mid-grade “premium” audio system in the FFEnergi SE.

I find it very easy to go back and forth between driving the two cars. MFT in each car is almost identical. Braking feels very much the same. Shifting to L to engage higher regeneration coming to a stop or going down steep hills is the same. The first 21 miles in the Energi is just like driving the Electric, only quieter, smoother, and a little slower in acceleration. I like the styling of both cars. Both are more pleasing to my aesthetic taste than any other electric car on the market with the only exception being the Tesla.

At this point in ownership, I am in love with both cars and it would be hard for me to pick a favorite. Driving each car is pleasurable for different reasons: the FFElectric for sporty handling and a considerable electric range and the FFEnergi for a smooth, quiet ride and no range worries. Driving both is satisfying for the same reason, the economics of driving on electricity vs. gasoline. And even when the initial electric range on the FFEnergi runs out, its gas mileage as a hybrid is good. There are a few options on each car that, if they were available, could have made me happier, but all things considered, I am happier with purchasing these two cars than I have been in more than 40 years of buying cars.

Gigi,

I have been looking to trade my Camry in on the Fusion hybrid. However, there have been a number of questions from competitors questioning the claimed 47/47 mpg of the hybrid.

Do you believe it is possible when in hybrid mode to get that kind of mileage? What mileage do you get when not in electric mode? Do you drive zippy, or zen :D

georgek said:
Do you believe it is possible when in hybrid mode to get that kind of mileage? What mileage do you get when not in electric mode? Do you drive zippy, or zen :D

I'm on the Zen half of the continuum, but not a master. I do believe the mpg figure for the hybrid is attainable. I had a new C-Max hybrid as a loaner from the dealership one day. I was able to get mpg in the high 40s and actually raised the car's overall mpg from the 30s to the 40s in the short time I had it.

My experience with the Energi is not a good comparison since I've only taken it on one road trip where I didn't plug in. One leg of the trip was 44.7 mpg (better than the EPA rating). This leg included some surface street driving. Another leg, highway only, was only 37.1 mpg, 6 mpg off the EPA rating and it was at 70+ mph.

The Energi is 298 pounds heavier than the hybrid because of the larger battery, so I would expect the hybrid to have better mpg than the Energi as advertized.

My overall mileage in the Energi is 70 mpg for over 4500 miles. When my wife was driving the car in November, December, and January, she was not charging at work on her 54 mile commute, so more than half of her daily drive was in hybrid mode. Since we got the FFE and since the temperature has warmed up, I've been driving the Energi. I filled up four weeks ago right after the Atlanta Snow Jam, have gone over 700 miles, and have used only 5 gallons of gas - more than 140 mpg. The difference, of course, is that I am able to charge at work. A couple of those 5 gallons, my wife burned on days when the temperature dropped into the teens and range in the FFE was questionable. 600 of the last 700 miles in the Energi have be EV miles, so it's hard for me to compare with the hybrid.

As you might imagine, there is a lot of discussion in the Fusion Hybrid forum about mpg http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/ From what I've seen, it mostly consists of people disappointed and complaining about getting mpg in the high 30s and others claiming that they are getting in the high 40s and above who try to gently counsel that how you drive the car makes all the difference in the world.

There may be a few lemons in the bunch or some cars needing their PCM adjusted that the best driver couldn't get above 40mpg. There seem to be plenty of people, though, who are getting what's advertized or better. A lot of the difference, I think, comes from what your normal daily drive is and how you drive it.

If I had a job that required driving on the road for extended periods of time, I would definitely get a Fusion Hybrid. Since most of my trips are less than 21 miles between charges, the Energi is perfect for me.

Remember that there is a $4007 federal tax credit on the Energi that helps equalize the cost between Energi and Hybrid.

Gigi,

Thanks for the info. The only reason I wouldn't get the energi vs hybrid, is our life style. The camry sits in the garage most of the time, as almost all of our driving is with the focus E. However, 4 or 5 times a month, we do need the camry for more distance, or, we both need the car.

I wasn't thinking of the rebate. That does bring things closer.

Thanks again for the info. Have fun with your 2 great vehicles :D

Bill said:
Me, I want a Ford Focus Electric, but none are in stock to take advantage of the $6,000 rebate on those, but my wife prefers (ok, she really wants) a Ford Fusion. It's her nice way of telling me no to a FFE. I get part-way there (electric) by buying a Ford Fusion Energi.

My round trip to and from work is 24 miles, so I'm exceeding the electric range, but not by much. This will test my "zen" abilities, for sure...assuming I buy the car. We'll see.
You may find that for much of the year, you will be able to make your 24 miles all on EV, especially since you are in Iowa, where it's so flat. Winter will be another story. Any chance of being able to charge at work?

I hope that you like the Energi. It's more expensive than the FFE, but it's also a quieter, more comfortable car with more options. With your commute, you will be driving mostly in EV mode at the same cost per mile as the FFE. The experience of driving on electricity in both cars is equally satisfying.

Good luck with your buying experience.

Bill said:
And, this would be my wife's car...
We bought the Fusion Energi for my wife. We both fell in love with driving on electricity and two months later decided to get an FFE as well.

My wife has named both of these cars - the Energi is "Gigi" and the FFE is "Effie" - the last time she named a car was in high school, 40 years ago. That's an indicator of how happy she is with both of these cars.

Cross you fingers, you could end up with your FFE after all.

Bill said:
I was looking at the local Ford Dealer website (Dahl Ford, Davenport, IA) and noticed that Ford is offering a $4,500 rebate on any new 2013 model Ford Fusion Energi (only $1,000 on 2014s).
Ford reduced the base MSRP of the 2014 Fusion Energi by $3600-$4000 compared to the 2013, which negates the difference in rebates.

Bill said:
My wife and I decided not to purchase a Ford Focus Energi. However, I did manage to talk her into letting me buy a 2014 Ford Focus EV today. With the $6,000 rebate and future $7,500 Federal tax rebate, it was too good of a deal for me to pass up. Now, on to deciding which EVSE to buy, and contacting an electrician to install it.
So long as you can charge at home, your commute is within the FFE's range, and you have a backup vehicle for those times when you need to drive beyond the FFE's range, buying or leasing one makes so much sense. It's hard to beat driving at 3 or 4¢ per mile.
My wife loves driving past gas stations and she loves the reactions she gets from co-workers and friends. "You mean, it doesn't have an engine? No gas at all?"

Bill said:
With the $6,000 rebate and future $7,500 Federal tax rebate
Congrats on your purchase!

One note.. it's a non-refundable tax credit, not a rebate, so "saving" $7,500 on the cost of the EV is not guaranteed. It all depends on your tax liability. Put simply, if you don't owe least $7,500 in taxes in the year you take the credit, then you'll only qualify for a partial amount of the credit, and perhaps even none of it.

For example, if your tax liability is say $10,000, then you'll owe $2,500 (due to having a credit of $7,500) so you'll have effectively "saved" the full $7,500 against the cost of your EV. But, if your liability is say $3,000, then you'll owe $0 (but won't be refunded the "extra" $4,500) so you'll have saved only $3,000. In the "worst" case, if your liability is zero, then you'll get nothing.

Hopefully, though, if you can afford an FFE, your tax liability will be at least $7,500.

Bill said:
Now, on to deciding which EVSE to buy, and contacting an electrician to install it.
I'd go this route if I were installing mine now:

http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40-30a-240v-charging-25-cord-3/

Back