Ford Focus Energi possible in 2015

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marta

I'm positive that you've seen all the articles floating around, but there are some pretty serious rumors about a plug-in hybrid Focus, that would live under the Energi moniker like the other two plug-in hybrids available from Ford.

Here is some reading:

Ford Focus to get facelift, and plug-in hybrid 'Energi' version

Ford Focus Energi could have 25 miles of range, for $27,500 (in the US)

My question is whether or not this is an indication that Ford will be moving away from the Focus Electric and towards plug-in hybrids, or do you think Ford will continue with both?

I blogged about this a few days ago:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2014/01/08/more-news-about-the-next-gen-focus/

Note that the original Autoexpress article quoted a Ford insider saying that the Focus Electric would still be available. They also mention that the announcement will be made at Geneva in March so we don't have too long to wait to find out.

Honestly since the FFE is so similar to the ICE Focus I don't really think it costs Ford that much to produce it--even development costs were probably minimal (since Magna pretty much did it). From that perspective it will probably stick around. In addition, since the fuel economy requirements are only going to increase (including the # of ZEVs required for California) it is more likely that Ford will eventually produce MORE BEVs...not less.

Back