Even the Tesla Model S' range meter is a "Guess O Meter"!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

Read this article about pushing the range limit of a Model S

The key quote:
I don't have a lot of faith in the Model S range meter. Its number is a projection based on rule-of-thumb efficiency assumptions, battery temperature, and a safety fudge factor. (New York Times reporter Jonathan Broder famously fell victim to wildly fluctuating range numbers.) I call it the guess-o-meter.

So even the "best car in the world" still has a "guess o meter"--I don't feel so bad about my FFE's guess o meter now! LOL

The range meter is good for spotting trends. For instance if you see your reserve range keeps dropping, this would be an indication you should take steps to reduce energy consumption. The two best methods are backing off on the speed, and climate control use.

jmueller065 said:
So even the "best car in the world" still has a "guess o meter"--I don't feel so bad about my FFE's guess o meter now! LOL
Until the manufacturers can combine elevation change, projected speed, and temperature into the equation, range will always be no more than a guess.

Whats the big deal? Take any gas powered car with a miles till empty meter, Drive that car at 55 and then at 105. Like the electric the Range changes.

Tim Jodice said:
Whats the big deal? Take any gas powered car with a miles till empty meter, Drive that car at 55 and then at 105. Like the electric the Range changes.
Exactly... an ICE gas meter would seem more like a guess-o-meter too if you always only have 3 gallons in the tank (about what driving our FFE is like). On the freeway, the whole tank would "just disappear" quickly, but around town it would "seem to last" a long time.

It's just that the range of ICE cars is so massive (compared to the average EV) that the fluctuations in energy consumption aren't as obvious. As a result, their guess-o-meters seem more "stable". Eventually, the same will be true of EVs, and someday your battery indicator may simply go from "E" to "F". :)

WattsUp said:
Tim Jodice said:
Eventually, the same will be true of EVs, and someday your battery indicator may simply go from "E" to "F". :)

E to F!!! Leave home with a dead battery Drive around all day charging the battery them run your house oft it for the Night. I Like the way you think!

Tim Jodice said:
E to F!!! Leave home with a dead battery Drive around all day charging the battery them run your house oft it for the Night. I Like the way you think!
I meant the scale... you know what I meant. :lol:

But, then again... I suppose going down a hill for hundreds of miles it could actually go to "F".

Tim Jodice said:
WattsUp said:
Tim Jodice said:
Eventually, the same will be true of EVs, and someday your battery indicator may simply go from "E" to "F". :)

I was thinking Energized to Flat. :lol:

That article is two years old and not up to date.

Tesla claims to be addressing this problem

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a25329/live-blog-teslas-plan-to-end-range-anxiety/

Among the features:

The system calculates elevation changes, driving style, and even windspeed, "making it basically impossible for a Model S driver to run out of range unintentionally," says Musk.

michael said:
That article is two years old and not up to date.
The original post was also two years old... ;)

Speaking of Tesla's improved range predictions, I hope other EV makers will imitate what they have done.

Back